Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Manifold heatshield

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Has anyone fabricated an exhaust manifold heatshield in the engine bay? I’ve noticed a ‘weep’ from my carburettor & want to either buy or fabricate a heatshield in case of any future leaks & prevent a fire.

Are there any on the market or is it a custom job?
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Manifold heatshield

Post by svenedin »

There’s this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303696932050 ... R8TE7dm6Yg

Or there’s the Grumpy type available from ESM

I’ve no personal experience of either.

The leak may be from the jet tube join to the float chamber. Petrol runs down and appears to be leaking from the jet. Is that the problem?

I’d suggest treating the problem rather than the symptom

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
MoggyMatilda
Minor Friendly

Post by MoggyMatilda »

Thanks. I couldn’t find any online. I have found the leak, it was a broken gasket on the floatbowl. But as a precaution for any further unexpected leaks I thought a heatshield be a good idea.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

A heat shield is likely simply a waste of time and effort. Petrol typically requires a spark to ignite it - not just heat at a couple hundred degrees, or so.. Back in 1976, the fuel pipe to the carburettor came adrift at a vey high speed, on my car (apparently a not unknown failure with that carburettor) filled the car with fumes but did not ignite. On stopping, the fuel was still boiling on the engine. A lucky escape, that one!

Of course, fuel has changed since then and ethanol in fuel may be a different matter (brake fluid will ignite with heat - but not silicone based ones).