Armstrong Factory Film 1954

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Armstrong Factory Film 1954

Post by svenedin »

If you have ever wondered how Armstrong lever-acting dampers were made then have a look at this film made in 1954 at the Beverley factory.

I was interested to see the pistons being fitted. It looked like they were cooled to a very low temperature to make them fit.

Armstrong also made Heli-coil thread inserts and the Heli-nut

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/wat ... %20product.

Here is an article about how these dampers work:

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/fs1 ... ef%20valve.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Armstrong Factory Film 1954

Post by jagnut66 »

Excellent.
Great to see a piece of our manufacturing heritage recorded on film, from a time when we were a manufacturing nation that made things which were sold around the world.
Wonderful drive past at the start, showcasing allot of British cars in everyday use, that are now regarded as classics, even vintage in some cases.
Also noted how clothing fashions have changed. (No trousers worn half way down your backside in those days!!)
Sad to think that the young people recorded on this film are now all very old or have passed on....
Shame there was no sound, still on the plus side it is in colour.
A real showcase of the way we were, if only I had a TARDIS.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

A strangely edited film, all the component manufacture and assembly of Lever Dampers, and then suddenly they're packing Telescopic Shock Absorbers :-?
It would have been nice to have the soundtrack, which was presumably a very polite and well spoken gentleman, describing certain processes and extolling the virtues of their product, but I bet any actual sound recording taken while filming would have been quite deafening in the factory :o

edited to add: Also rather strange to feature the RAF Sgt talking to the receptionist.
Presumably he'd come from somewhere such as RAF Leconfield, which was just to the north of Beverley to do something official, and has by chance been preserved on film forevermore...
Last edited by geoberni on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes it is not a very well polished film and it is a shame there is no soundtrack. I think they were trying to show their efforts to support the economy after the war. I was fascinated to see the shots that showed Beverley Minster in the background. I had no idea the factory was so close to the centre.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen