Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Distributor advance thread size

Post by Bill_qaz »

Can anyone confirm thread and diameter for screw on vacuum advance pipe on the distributor. Is it 5/16 UNF. ? Looking for an adaptor to screw on to convert to push on :tu1:
Screenshot_20230731-151121_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230731-151121_eBay.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Distributor advance thread size

Post by svenedin »

Might be easier to buy a new advance unit and that will already have a push on fitting. The diaphragm inside goes hard and fails so unless your unit has recently been overhauled I would say it isn't worth the trouble trying to fit an adapter because it might not even be working! I'd keep the old one though as those threaded ones are getting uncommon and it could be overhauled. You know what it's like -you throw a part out and then 10 years later wish you hadn't!

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

There's nothing wrong with the distributor it runs perfect, if you reckon they are rare the picture is from one on ebay now if you want one. It currently has a plastic pipe fitted to the threaded fitting I'm just replacing it with a new pipe and prefer the push on fitting. I don't want the expense of the replacement copper pipe or changing a perfectly good diaphragm unit to get a push on, when you can simply fit a screw on adaptor. I was just enquiring about thread size as the cars in a storage away from home and wanted to get the adaptor in advance.
Regards Bill
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Bill_qaz wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:42 pm There's nothing wrong with the distributor it runs perfect, if you reckon they are rare the picture is from one on ebay now if you want one. It currently has a plastic pipe fitted to the threaded fitting I'm just replacing it with a new pipe and prefer the push on fitting. I don't want the expense of the replacement copper pipe or changing a perfectly good diaphragm unit to get a push on, when you can simply fit a screw on adaptor. I was just enquiring about thread size as the cars in a storage away from home and wanted to get the adaptor in advance.
Fair enough. I don't think they're rare, just less common than the push on type. My car is late and I don't think it every had the threaded type.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Problem solved :tu1: part of original metal pipe was inside the failing plastic, so the rubber push on will go onto a short section of pipe using original nut and olive. :D
20230801_153339.jpg
20230801_153339.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 268 times
Regards Bill