Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Beyond saving?

Post by rocco »

I said I wouldn't do it but I was bored today and took the drivers' side wing off. I don't think my car is as straight as I originally thought it was.

All the wax oil stuff is falling off and taking a layer of metal with it. On top of that, there looks like a very poor repair on the inner wing and now I don't know what to do. Can the entire panel be replaced or does it require cleaning up, cutting up and welding pieces in?
20230715_122449.jpg
20230715_122449.jpg (394.01 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
20230715_122457.jpg
20230715_122457.jpg (455.27 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
20230715_122441.jpg
20230715_122441.jpg (454.34 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
1961 Morris Minor 1000
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: Beyond saving?

Post by firedrake1942 »

All those panels are available. Nothing is beyond saving providing you have time, patience and a budget. I have seen much worse than that.
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

firedrake1942 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:00 pm All those panels are available. Nothing is beyond saving providing you have time, patience and a budget. I have seen much worse than that.
A case of being brave then. I've got no idea what I'm doing with chassis/bodywork and not enough money to be able to give it to a professional. Luckily, time I do have - at the moment.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

OUCH. It probably looks worse than it is (hopefully). It looks like dried out underseal, I hate the stuff. A whole inner wing can be replaced if you take care and spend a lot of time in the preparation. I wonder how the other side looks. By the time you finish this job you will be a welding expert. I hope you do have a go at repairing this car and I would like to see the finished result. Good luck Rocco.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I’d be checking out the rest of the car for structural integrity, it’s ok going to town on that area but if you find other places in a mess, you might not be too keen to carry on. It’s true most things can be saved but how much work do you want ? If there’s more to do and you’re a determined type of guy good luck but if you’re not, you might change your mind half way through.

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

No not beyond saving at all..

Thats fairly simple to patch repair with a plate or to cut back and repair properly.

Its previously had a patch repair there which should be cut off first...you will find such a repair at that location called 'Bump stop repair' and small repair sections used to be available for the top curved part of the front inner wing.

A good item to start your welding training on!

However I recommend a complete safety inspection as that split tyre sidewall looks far gone :o :o

Taupe
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I've already bought a complete set of floor repair panels because I had thought this was the most likely area that'd need attention. Looking at ESM today, there are a number of different panels for the inner wings but as less has said, if the rest of it is as bad then I'll need to buy every panel and replace the whole lot. Pity I cannot just buy a complete new shell and just bolt on the good parts from the old car. I think I saw one good part somewhere. :lol:

If I'm going to persevere then finding somewhere to do a welding course is the next step.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Very much hope you persevere as they all need saving.Ok it takes time andoney but what doesn't. And think of the achievement .Good luck.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

les wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:48 pm I’d be checking out the rest of the car for structural integrity, it’s ok going to town on that area but if you find other places in a mess, you might not be too keen to carry on. It’s true most things can be saved but how much work do you want ? If there’s more to do and you’re a determined type of guy good luck but if you’re not, you might change your mind half way through.
I totally agree with Les. Never mind this for now…..check the insides of the box sections underneath. I suspect a big ouch there.

My car is a very honest lump. When I did the brake master cylinder I was horrified by the rust inside the chassis rails. Structural integrity first.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

All the replies are much appreciated. Being a newbie to this scene and having limited skills, it's really good to get this kind of guidance.

I have the engine out at the moment and the gearbox propped up on an axle stand. To get under the car and take a proper look at the rest of the chassis I want to push it out of the garage and on to ramps. I'll do it at the weekend and report back later.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

I finally managed to push the old girl out of the garage last night and have a look underneath. It's largely covered in underseal which may or may not be masking a lot of rust. It does seem solid, the square side panels above/parallel to the sills (I don't know what its called, box panel perhaps?) are solid and the nearside lower inner wing is nowhere near as bad as the offside, although it does feel a bit soft beneath the underseal.
Minor_Floor2.jpg
Minor_Floor2.jpg (317.52 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
While out in the sun I removed the seats and carpet before light and time got the better of me. Not a lot achieved really but it looks nastier than it did and more like a project car now rather than just a wreck. I have been looking at rollover jigs today - I am sure I'm going to need one. Also some videos of removing the underseal with a heat gun and scraper.
Minor_Floor.jpg
Minor_Floor.jpg (582.65 KiB) Viewed 3971 times
1961 Morris Minor 1000
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

We can still only see small areas of the underside but the areas you have photographed above look pretty sound and original to me. A good start! If the rear seat supporting box - which is also just above the front mounting of the rear springs - is sound, I would say that the car is a reasonable restoration prospect. In my opinion, if all that area is badly corroded then restoration is probably not viable for a novice. Looks OK so far though.
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Thanks. This is what it looks like under the rear seat.
UnderRearSeats1.jpeg
UnderRearSeats1.jpeg (454.81 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
I'm just not going to know anything meaningful until all the underseal is off but with a bit of luck, if it's solid then I'm going to crack on with it. I do have all new floor panels already, I just cannot weld :cry:
1961 Morris Minor 1000
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

rocco wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:07 pm Thanks. This is what it looks like under the rear seat.

UnderRearSeats1.jpeg

I'm just not going to know anything meaningful until all the underseal is off but with a bit of luck, if it's solid then I'm going to crack on with it. I do have all new floor panels already, I just cannot weld :cry:
I happen to have a picture of exactly the same area of my car for comparison. Mine is an unrestored 1969 convertible. I am surprised by how rusty yours is on the inside. I cannot weld either and have not had to but I would look for a training course should I ever need to do welding jobs.

Stephen

IMG_9158.jpeg
IMG_9158.jpeg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 3935 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Yes, mine does look rustier than yours. I will need to clean it up and see how it looks then. :tu1:

Welding course will be sorted once the school is back from their holiday. I've spent most of the day watching welding videos on YT, I'll be alright once I have had a bit of tuition and some practice.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

if you get one of the modern inverter machines they flatter those of us with less than perfect welding skills.