Zebra crossings

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Zebra crossings

Post by Blaketon »

I remember when the zig zag lines came in and how that works but I can't remember what the rules were before the zig zags came in. Does anyone remember? This all came about as my mother recalls someone she knew was killed on a zebra crossing but in the days before zig zags. It seems he walked out without looking. These days, whilst it wouldn't be a wise thing to do, provided there was no vehicle, with the zig zags, he'd have been within his rights to do so but back then???
simmitc

Re: Zebra crossings

Post by simmitc »

The Highway Code, without any publication date, but priced at 12p and probably from the early 1970s, makes no mention of zig-zags, but relevant rules appear to be:

42. When coming to a zebea crossing, be ready to slow down or stop....
43. Never overtake just before a zebra crossing.
45 and 46 concern crossings with lights.

I think that it used to say to not park within x yards of a crossing. If I can find that, then I'll add the information.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Rule 97, Do not park or let your vehicle stand:
(3) Where it would be a danger ti other road users; that is:
...on a pedestrian crossing, or on either side of it;
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

For information, a dated copy of the code from 1978 and now costing 25p now includes the zig-zags in Rule 56.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

More and more people parking/stopping on zig-zags now. Yes the pedestrian is always right in this case the moment they step onto the crossing.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

The legislation sits in the Zebra Pedestrian Crossings Regs of 1971. Useful for dating photos pre and post although there was a lag when installing the zig zag lines for the crossings. It introduced the concept of a 'zebra controlled area' denoted by the zig zag lines.

The previous legislation was Pedestrian Crossings Regs of 1954. That codified the concept of pedestrian precedence.

This link is a potted history which is as amusing - with hindsight and informative showing cultural shifts and views towards pedestrians which would not be out of place on GB News...

https://joemoran.net/academic-articles/ ... 1931-1976/
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:28 am The legislation sits in the Zebra Pedestrian Crossings Regs of 1971. Useful for dating photos pre and post although there was a lag when installing the zig zag lines for the crossings. It introduced the concept of a 'zebra controlled area' denoted by the zig zag lines.

The previous legislation was Pedestrian Crossings Regs of 1954. That codified the concept of pedestrian precedence.

This link is a potted history which is as amusing - with hindsight and informative showing cultural shifts and views towards pedestrians which would not be out of place on GB News...

https://joemoran.net/academic-articles/ ... 1931-1976/
Thanks for those 2 references firedrake, it saves me looking them up. :tu1:
The Regs being made under the authority of The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1967.

Before the Zig Zag, we had of course already introduced Pelican Crossings, with the pedestrian controlled lights in 1969.

Pelican was far more successfully than the 1 year trial (meaning disastrous experiment) of the 'Panda Crossing' in 1962.
They were only in use for a week before they announced changes to the way they worked.
They featured both 'Flashing' and 'Pulsating' lights, of which people were supposed to know the difference :lol: :lol:
Check this short video from BBC archives.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ryty8
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

geoberni wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:39 am
Pelican was far more successfully than the 1 year trial (meaning disastrous experiment) of the 'Panda Crossing' in 1962.
They were only in use for a week before they announced changes to the way they worked.
They featured both 'Flashing' and 'Pulsating' lights, of which people were supposed to know the difference :lol: :lol:
Check this short video from BBC archives.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ryty8
Good Lord! How could anyone think that a good idea? :lol:
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com