Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Plywood Boot Shelf fixings Screws?

Post by svenedin »

I just fitted a new carpet in my boot. For as long as I have had my car (which is a long time) the 2 plywood panels that make up the boot shelf (over the spare wheel) have been missing all of their fixings. This means that when going over a bump the plywood panels tend to jump and bash everything sitting on the shelf.

As I have no fixings present I do not know what should be there. Whatever fixings were there go through the plywood and then into a steel support. It looks like the fixings had countersunk heads so that they did not protrude above the plywood.

I tried various self tapping wood screws that I have and nothing would fit. It seems daft to have something pointy and sharp sticking out below the shelf because it could catch and damage the spare wheel when this is needed. So does anybody know what the fixings should be? I am thinking they must have been countersunk head machine screws and nuts but what a pain it would be to remove the shelf if that was ever needed! Maybe that is why they are all missing.....

I think 1/4" x 5/8" countersunk machine screws, washers and nuts would do the job but I am interested in what was originally there. I would use stainless steel so that they don't corrode.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Plywood Boot Shelf fixings Screws?

Post by panky »

If they are the same as those on a traveller then I used 3/16" BSF countersunk set screws on mine.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Just look at the sizes of hole in the car's metalwork beneath the wooden boards :wink: On my car the wooden boards are secured by countersunk self tapping screws where they attach to a small bracket on each wheelarch (one screw on each side). Similar countersunk self tapping screws into the steel panel behind the rear seat (two screws on each side) and 3/16 countersunk machine screws with a spring washer and nut where the boards are attached to the crossmember along the rear of the car and along the centre (four of these screws on each board).
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:27 pm Just look at the sizes of hole in the car's metalwork beneath the wooden boards :wink: On my car the wooden boards are secured by countersunk self tapping screws where they attach to a small bracket on each wheelarch (one screw on each side). Similar countersunk self tapping screws into the steel panel behind the rear seat (two screws on each side) and 3/16 countersunk machine screws with a spring washer and nut where the boards are attached to the crossmember along the rear of the car and along the centre (four of these screws on each board).
Ah now that all makes sense. I had ascertained that there were two different types of fixings involved but I did not know whether that was how it should be or whether someone had bodged it in the past by forcing screws in that were too big.

Finding 3/16" countersunk machine screws is another matter entirely.......

Many thanks!

Stephen

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have found suitable machine screws and self-tapping screws from Spalding Fasteners. The self tappers I ordered are No 6 x 5/8" but the next length up was 1". I ordered some of those too just in case. 5/8 may be a bit short.

Soon my car will have a fixed boot shelf for the first time in 34 years. Better late than never!

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

The fasteners arrived this morning and I have finished the job. I was preparing the car for a show anyway (Warlingham, Surrey on 16th July)

I found machine screws 1/4 x 5/8", spring washers and nuts were perfect, 3/16 too wide. For the self-tappers, No 6 x 5/8" worked in every hole except one so I just left that as it does not really matter.

Many thanks for the assistance.

Stephen

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've often wondered about the correct fasteners for the boot floor, but I've never even found the actual boards in the AKD3541 or 3542.

The T shape support bar that the 2 boards sit on is in the 3542, as 'Support cross-member - trunk floor', but no sign of the boards anywhere thus neither the fasteners. :roll:
No problem finding the Traveller floor listed, just not the saloon boot floor :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:43 pm I've often wondered about the correct fasteners for the boot floor, but I've never even found the actual boards in the AKD3541 or 3542.

The T shape support bar that the 2 boards sit on is in the 3542, as 'Support cross-member - trunk floor', but no sign of the boards anywhere thus neither the fasteners. :roll:
No problem finding the Traveller floor listed, just not the saloon boot floor :roll:
The boards in my car are in incredible condition. They look like they were made yesterday. They appear to have been treated with some kind of oily black stain/finish that has preserved the plywood perfectly. My boot has always had a tatty bit of old house carpet (circa 1970) over the boards and I thought it was time it had a proper boot carpet!

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

svenedin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:09 pm
I found machine screws 1/4 x 5/8", spring washers and nuts were perfect, 3/16 too wide.

Stephen
When I was an apprentice, 3/16" was SMALLER than 1/4" :wink:

Glad you've got the job done anyway!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:48 pm
svenedin wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:09 pm
I found machine screws 1/4 x 5/8", spring washers and nuts were perfect, 3/16 too wide.

Stephen
When I was an apprentice, 3/16" was SMALLER than 1/4" :wink:

Glad you've got the job done anyway!
Haha. Yes my usual idiocy. I was always terrible at maths. 3/16 was what fitted!

Stephen