Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Swampy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Lights

Post by Swampy »

Any help please fitted new headlights main beam and dipped working on one side but only dipped on other when dipped is working other goes out no dipped have swapped lights over still the same so lights are ok.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Lights

Post by King Kenny »

I assume you have checked the wiring. Have you checked the earth wire to body connection?
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Swampy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:55 pm Any help please fitted new headlights main beam and dipped working on one side but only dipped on other when dipped is working other goes out no dipped have swapped lights over still the same so lights are ok.
What?
I can't decipher from that exactly what you have going on
Just changed the bulbs, fitted new complete assemblies, perhaps upgraded to halogen from the old Filament Lamps... :-?
But the circuit is so simple it doesn't matter, it's the basics of fault finding.
Hopefully a standard setup which nobody has been experimenting with....although as I recall, your car has not been on the road, you're actually rebuilding it, so this is presumably the first time you've tried the lights?

The Split for the headlights on each side, whether Main or Dip occurs after the Dip Switch, so that's OK.
The Earth for each light unit is common, a single black wire, so if Main or Dip is working on one side, then that side's Earth is OK.
The fault has to be on the supply wiring, at the short length of wiring from the point of the split, to the actual assembly in the headlamp.
The wiring split occurs at the connections on the inside of the offside front wing.

So start looking for a loose broken wire.
Basil the 1955 series II

Swampy
Minor Friendly

Post by Swampy »

Yes first time for lights have fitted halogen all the earth spots are good all cleaned will look at the wiring later hopefully a bad wire .thanks for your reply.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Like Berni, I did struggle with your description, but as Berni says, it is a simple circuit. Do you have a multimeter to assist with checking each connection? Remember that blue/red is dip and blue/white is main, so whichever one is not working, check that wire. Connection points are a split near the right hand inner wing and a straight through on the left where the short harness for the lamp meets the harness in the car.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

The connectors are a prime suspect. Years ago I had to replace mine as the lights would randomly work or not, the connectors were shot.