Sunday Telegraph

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bat
MMOC Member: No

Sunday Telegraph

Post by bat »

I haven't logged in for 10 years since I am mainly into modern classics but today I made it to page 5 of the Sunday Telegraph with my politically charged go-green moggie. Enjoy.

Actually it's 1958 but was re-imported from Germany in '61.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Sunday Telegraph

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’m not criticising you for standing up for what you believe in, but I do wonder if it’s wise to use a historic vehicle that’s exempt to make the point?

The classic car lobby has rightfully and successfully secured exemptions for us in LEZs across the UK. It’s largely flown under the radar of the general public. The last thing we want are the eco warriors and governments targeting our exemption.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MorrisJohn wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:19 am I’m not criticising you for standing up for what you believe in, but I do wonder if it’s wise to use a historic vehicle that’s exempt to make the point?

The classic car lobby has rightfully and successfully secured exemptions for us in LEZs across the UK. It’s largely flown under the radar of the general public. The last thing we want are the eco warriors and governments targeting our exemption.
I agree. IMHO, all this photo does is risk provoking 'outrage' from people about older cars and their emissions.
I have to wonder why bat's 'modern classic' wasn't the vehicle of choice for this protest..... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

To avoid being told "How dare you," would it be adviseable to remove this? 8)
greta.jpg
greta.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

all a bit silly and self defeating.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

olonas wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:20 am To avoid being told "How dare you," would it be adviseable to remove this? 8)
greta.jpg
Well, I had to declare the decal on my other car (slightly smaller than yours) as it counted as a modification, so I guess check with your insurers in case your one increases risk :)
bat

Post by bat »

Thank you. The advantage of a real oldie is that it gets a bit of attention for our cause. Someone brought a 1928 fire engine which usually steals the show. I doubt if a late 80's Volvo or '99 Hyundai would get the same attention ;-0 ;-0 and if I had taken the wrong turning, it would have cost me £12.50 if I had noticed the mistake and £90 if I didn't ;-0 ;-0 The 40 year exemption is absolutely a hard-won victory that rolled, then became static, and then rolled again (damned politics, there I go again) but I will have to store my Volvos for 8 years and the Hyundai till 2040 which may be a bit too long for obvious reasons ;-0 ;-0 You can set up autopay for the ULEZ but if someone copies your plates they can drive around in the zone at your expense. Bah humbug - it's getting too close to Christmas.
Last edited by bat on Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

I suspect a couple of sense of humour transplants are urgently required :-?
bat

Post by bat »

Greta should certainly not hate your car given that her yacht crew jetted in from half-way around the world ;-0 ;-0 I think I had better stay away for another decade ;-0 ;-0