Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: It's never the coil

Post by svenedin »

Sometimes some of the wire strands captured in the crimp connection fracture but the actual spade bit still makes a tight connection. That’s even trickier to diagnose. If in doubt and you have the tools anyway, crimping on a new connector is easy to do. Usually affects wires subject to high vibration (such as the dynamo mounted Morris coil).
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:27 pm Sometimes some of the wire strands captured in the crimp connection fracture but the actual spade bit still makes a tight connection. That’s even trickier to diagnose. If in doubt and you have the tools anyway, crimping on a new connector is easy to do. Usually affects wires subject to high vibration (such as the dynamo mounted Morris coil).
Try finding a fault where someone has crimped the insulation but not the conductor..... :roll:
:wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

The car in question is notorious for having a delicate wiring loom.

Thanks.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

oliver90owner wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:53 pm I would suspect a Hall Effect device to be the most likely culprit - assuming, of course, that it is an ignition fault.
And the winner is...........oliver90owner!

I thought I had diagnosed the problem as a loose wire on the coil.

Conked out today and waited for the AA. It turned out to be......the Crank Sensor.

So on a 31 year old car; it's never the coil, and probably always the crank sensor. Well done oliver.

Thanks everyone.

John.
keith rogerson
Minor Friendly

Post by keith rogerson »

1987 in my third Mog, a lovely convertible, I happily drove through France in to Italy, and back home.
Not one problem even after 4000 miles, same engine and gearbox etc since it was made.
I had that particular mog for 25 years.
I'm hoping with my latest mog Wilf, a new coil is going to be the solution and another solid 20 years of mog motoring.