Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater control tap - simple solution

Post by millerman »

Installation of heater control tap inside the car, good or bad idea??
P1010817.JPG
P1010817.JPG (762.5 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
P1010816.JPG
P1010816.JPG (696.23 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: Heater control tap - simple solution

Post by svenedin »

Assuming you have the “push heater” control type valve fitted (I can see the control in your photo but perhaps it is not connected at the cylinder head end) then I can’t see why you would need another control. The push heater knob isn’t just on/off. I use it to regulate the water flow and hence the heat too.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As with Stephen, I have to ask 'Why?' :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

If, like me, you're fed up with the cable operated valves leaking so having to revert to fitting a brass tap on the engine then I think this is a great idea. I like it :tu1:
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

panky wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:22 am If, like me, you're fed up with the cable operated valves leaking so having to revert to fitting a brass tap on the engine then I think this is a great idea. I like it :tu1:
I believe there was a bad batch of cable operated valves. I had one explode quite spectacularly. ESM assure me the new ones are much better.

Stephen

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The cable operated ones, even "good" ones, have never been that great; so I think that this is a good alternative. The only downside is that both the original and new valves MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY off circulation to the rear of the head. The ideal is a diverter valve that passes hot water to either the heater or the return to the radiator. See viewtopic.php?p=677132#p677132
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:35 pm The cable operated ones, even "good" ones, have never been that great; so I think that this is a good alternative. The only downside is that both the original and new valves MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY off circulation to the rear of the head. The ideal is a diverter valve that passes hot water to either the heater or the return to the radiator. See viewtopic.php?p=677132#p677132
Looks like our Moderator doesn't know all the Swearing settings, or else there's a problem with the board :roll: :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm
simmitc wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:35 pm The cable operated ones, even "good" ones, have never been that great; so I think that this is a good alternative. The only downside is that both the original and new valves MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY off circulation to the rear of the head. The ideal is a diverter valve that passes hot water to either the heater or the return to the radiator. See viewtopic.php?p=677132#p677132
Looks like our Moderator doesn't know all the Swearing settings, or else there's a problem with the board :roll: :lol: :lol:
I think he made a typo of the word “shut”

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Indeed, having the U and the I next to each other when using a small screen keyboard can be a bit of a problem :oops: Be thankful we're not discussing a film such as "Hot Shots". :o
I could edit the post, but hey, if leaving it as it is gives a laugh or two, then surely that makes the world a better place.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I fitted a brass tap after going through several cable valves. I think this is a wonderful solution. You do not need to stop the car and pop the bonnet if it gets cold.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

When I had a Series 2 Landrover I went all sophisticated and had a heating gate valve under the dash inside the vehicle, worked a treat for years.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:32 pm Indeed, having the U and the I next to each other when using a small screen keyboard can be a bit of a problem :oops: Be thankful we're not discussing a film such as "Hot Shots". :o
I could edit the post, but hey, if leaving it as it is gives a laugh or two, then surely that makes the world a better place.
:tu1: :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

millerman
Minor Addict

Post by millerman »

Thanks for your comments

I have to ask 'Why?' New heater tap was required and I thought this was a nice low-tech idea and no leaks so far! I must admit the jubilee clips look a bit cumbersome. I have still got the brass tap on the cylinder head due to the original valve not controlling the water flow
The push heater knob isn’t just on/off. I use it to regulate the water flow and hence the heat too. This can still be done :D although controlling with the push control wasn't that precise!