Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Oil from breather pipe

Post by svenedin »

If it was me, I’d take the inlet manifold to a machine shop to be tapped and drilled (I don’t have the tools) and connect up the PCV and see what happens before doing anything else. The breather canister is much easier to access on a 1098 (tappet chest) than it is on the 1275 (timing cover). I managed to pull the old corroded wire wool out of the canister with bent strong garden wire with a hook bent in the end and then washed it out.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks gents I will carry on.Will have to try a socket I think as a spanner won't go on as bolt is in the bowl of the pulley.Anti clockwise off I guess.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Wonder if a 34mm socket would suffice
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Classiccars wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:30 pm Wonder if a 34mm socket would suffice
Morris Minors use Imperial fixings. Therefore they require Imperial spanners/sockets, etc!

1 5/16” is barely over 33mm. Ideally use the proper size, not a bodge.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you as I thought but would have been easier.So will order the correct size now.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Can you please advise the diameter of the hose from the engine breather cannister on a 1971 traveller please
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just measure the OD of the canister outlet, that will be the ID of the hose you need. All you need is a rule !—— I estimate 1//2 inch but check.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

You'll need to measure the outlet on the canister and also on the inlet of the PCV. I think 1/2 inch ID is correct.

For info, when the pipe goes from canister to carburettor a special pipe is used which is a different diameter at each end (1/2" ID one end and 5/16" at the carburettor end part 12A1735)

Stephen
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks very much
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Annoyingly the oil catch cans come with 11mm and 15mm fittings and a 15mm hose.As my cannister is half inch or 13mm I am stuck.Any advice please
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Classiccars wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:59 pm Annoyingly the oil catch cans come with 11mm and 15mm fittings and a 15mm hose.As my cannister is half inch or 13mm I am stuck.Any advice please
I don't understand what you mean by oil catch can. You just need to do what has already been discussed.

Stephen
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Sorry just keeping options open.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Classiccars wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:51 pm Sorry just keeping options open.
I'll be honest and I am not intending to be rude but I don't think you really understand how engine breathing works or what it is for.

In any internal combustion engine the seal between the pistons and the cylinders is not perfect. That means that some of the gasses from when the mixture ignites and pushes down the piston leaks past the piston and into the bottom of the engine (the crankcase). This can cause pressurisation of the crankcase which inevitably causes the engine to leak oil. On an A-Series engine that is usually from the rear of the crankshaft but if it is very bad the engine can leak oil from many places.

Those gasses that leak past the pistons are called "blow-by" and they contain water vapour because water vapour is produced when petrol is burnt. That is not a good thing to have in the oil.

The solution to this is engine breathing. One option is to vent to atmosphere and catch any oil in a can but this only lowers the crankcase to atmospheric pressure. The other option is to connect the engine breathing to engine vacuum via a PCV valve or directly to a breather type carburettor. This reduces the pressure in the crankcase below atmospheric pressure and the blow-by gasses are sucked into the engine and burnt. With this system there has to be some means to allow fresh air in which is via a breather oil filler cap. So not only does proper engine breathing reduce the likelihood that the engine will leak oil but it also helps to keep the oil clean for much longer.

Stephen

Stephen
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you.Yes you are correct on my lack of knowledge on all things car related. But willing and learning all the time.I guess a combination of the pcv and breather would be sensible.I am thinking of fitting a catch can on the cannister breather and a pcv valve to also help.Would you agree.zI am advised I could also put a catch can on the hole that the fuel pump would sit but I guess that would be overkill with the afor mentioned ideas.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Hi can you please advise if the bottom pulley cam bolt will indo clockwise or anti clockwise. looking from the front of the engine please.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

All bolts and screws on a Morris Minor are R/H thread (except hub nuts) so to undo turn anticlockwise.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Classiccars wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:14 am Hi can you please advise if the bottom pulley cam bolt will indo clockwise or anti clockwise. looking from the front of the engine please.
You can work this out. The pulley rotates clockwise when the engine is running so it must be anti-clockwise to undo the nut. If it had a reverse thread it would undo itself!

Stephen

Stephen
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you I guessed so but glad to be sure.
gazsen
Minor Friendly

Post by gazsen »

Hi,
gazsen
Minor Friendly

Post by gazsen »

Hi, I have recently purchased a 1969 minor saloon and am experiencing oil leak from rear crankcase seal. I have been cleaning/ replacing breathing items to improve this but nothing is working. Have read about the PCV valve and would like to try this next but unsure where I need to fit it. I have 1098 engine. Could anyone advise or send photos to help, and where would AI get one from?
Gazsen