Help what fuel to run?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hudsonthemorris
MMOC Member: Yes

Help what fuel to run?

Post by Hudsonthemorris »

Hi I’ve just bought a morris minor as a first car and can’t decide what to run it on as there are a lot of conflicting opinions on this forum. Will e10 with and an additive be alright until it needs an unleaded head conversion or does it really need e5? Any help appreciated.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Help what fuel to run?

Post by geoberni »

Well this has lifted the lid off the can of worms.... :wink:

You've already said:
Hudsonthemorris wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:50 pm there are a lot of conflicting opinions on this forum.
So expect more of the same :D

IMHO, the car will run fine, although the mixture setting on the carburettor will likely need a tweak,

There will be people here that will swear by using a Lead Substitute because that's what they've been doing for the past 30-40 years since petrol went lead free.

IMHO, the real concern with the higher Ethanol content is all about what it can do to components like gaskets, seals and diaphragms and its poorer storage life.

What you have to remember is that Ethanol in fuel has been around since the 1930s, if not longer, it's not the 'Millennium Bug' all over again...
https://youtu.be/4uEqqlqqf4Q
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have to agree with Berni. The car originally ran on much lower octane fuel. 3 Star I ran mine on. I do use a lead substitute additive (Castrol). Ethanol can be nasty to certain types of rubber. The main thing is your car does not have a computer. The mixture and timing is not constantly adjusted by a computer so set things up and keep using the same fuel.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Whether you opt for E5 or E10 it's probably not a bad idea to include a drop of this as well:-

https://www.frost.co.uk/ethomix-corrosi ... rotection/
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I run mine on E5, for the reasons 'geoberni' mentions. I don't add anything else. The E5 is more expensive, but I get better mpg out of it...... 8)
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Grumpy21 »

E5 for me. Runs better, more power and more MPG.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I also use E5 for the Morris and my 310 hp Audi. They seem to like it. Nothing more scientific than that.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I have never had my cylinder head modified in any way to suit unleaded fuel and have never used any additive at all. Currently I am running on E5 and nothing else. The car runs fine and I've had no problems. I hope it'll keep for a longer time than the E10. I do generally use E10 in my modern car because that is what it is designed to run on.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

In terms of octane E5 is going to be overkill unless you've modified the engine to have much higher compression. The only possible benefit is having less ethanol and perhaps the additive mix.

If you price it up I think it's cheaper to use a lead/ethanol-stabiliser/octane additive rather than premium/E5, and it has more benefits.

However that may not even be necessary in my view, unless being run hot up and down motorways all the time I don't think a standard minor engine will even need unleaded conversion. Something else will go wrong first before your valves!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

We use E5, preferably Esso, as in most of the country it has 0% ethanol. In the south west and, I think, a part of the north east there is ethanol in it. The engine definitely runs better, although I'm making no claims about improved mpg.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I think practically everyone I know with a Minor runs it on E5 Super Unleaded. Over winter I add a fuel stabiliser. I wouldn’t put E10 in mine, but it’s your call.

I run my modern car on the same stuff.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

MorrisJohn wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:52 pm I think practically everyone I know with a Minor runs it on E5 Super Unleaded. Over winter I add a fuel stabiliser. I wouldn’t put E10 in mine, but it’s your call.

There is no Winter for my Minor. I drive it sub zero with the top down providing it’s not pouring with rain. I use fuel stabiliser in my lawn mower though. Works well

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

svenedin wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:11 pm
MorrisJohn wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:52 pm I think practically everyone I know with a Minor runs it on E5 Super Unleaded. Over winter I add a fuel stabiliser. I wouldn’t put E10 in mine, but it’s your call.

There is no Winter for my Minor. I drive it sub zero with the top down providing it’s not pouring with rain. Two of us in -6.8C in January and the Swiss Shepherd dog. I use fuel stabiliser in my lawn mower though. Works well

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Oh dear. I’ve quoted myself again…..please delete

Stephen
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That’s a sign of madness.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:09 am That’s a sign of madness.
You’re probably correct……

Stephen
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

:lol:
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well those relying on ESSO E5 not having any ethanol had better reacquaint themselves with the ESSO website.....
https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels
We currently supply an ethanol-free Synergy Supreme+ 99 unleaded in some parts of the UK. From September 2023 our Synergy Supreme+ 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located
It ain't gonna last....

This website is a good read, as a 'Fact Check' and to counter a lot of the Doom & Gloom that gets published just to attract readership to websites and magazines.....
https://classicenginesmodernfuel.org.uk ... nu=1000001
Basil the 1955 series II

Hudsonthemorris

Post by Hudsonthemorris »

Ok thanks for all these responses I’ll run it on E5 as it’s not too much more. I’m still deciding about lead substitute while my current supply runs out!
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

KeithL wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:45 pm We use E5, preferably Esso, as in most of the country it has 0% ethanol. In the south west and, I think, a part of the north east there is ethanol in it. The engine definitely runs better, although I'm making no claims about improved mpg.
Further to my previous post I had an e-mail from Esso today saying that from September this year their E5 petrol will no longer be ethanol free. It will have up to 5% ethanol like everyone else's.