Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hudsonthemorris
MMOC Member: Yes

Insurance (17 Year Old)

Post by Hudsonthemorris »

Hi all,
I've just purchased a Morris Minor and am trying to get insured through the footman james scheme. The quote I got is higher than expected, has anyone done anything to get it down?
Thanks,
Sam
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Insurance (17 Year Old)

Post by les »

From what I hear, high prices are the norm for youngsters. As far as getting cheaper insurance goes, either shop around, see if you can get third party only, (not too good an idea ) I don’t know how these Black boxes work but would that help ? Or simply ask the insurer how they could reduce the premium. Of course, maybe you’ve tried all this.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Also, adding the names of a couple of aged parents (or similar) with blemish-free driving records as included drivers often eases the pain somewhat.
Last edited by Myrtles Man on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hudsonthemorris

Ok thanks for your replies, I’ll try adding my mum and grandad with clean records to try and reduce it!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Some years ago when my daughter was insured through Footman James, I found that is was definitely worthwhile negotiating with them. They did get to what I thought was a very reasonable price in the end but prices vary enormously and shopping around is certainly worth doing. Good luck. Keep trying. A Morris Minor can be a great car for a youngster :)
Hudsonthemorris

Update:
Thanks all for your help, I tried Footman James but they weren’t able to give me any accumulating no claim bonus so i went with sterling third party fire and theft which was cheaper and gets me NCB. All in £1150 which is pretty good compared to my friend’s insurance!
Moggie May
Minor Friendly

Post by Moggie May »

Well done Sam and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from both driving and maintaining your car.
I have to say that I think that insurance companies could do a lot for the classic car fraternity. There seems to be a lack of new young members joining classic car clubs and buying cars to learn the art of driving!.
Hope you have many miles with smiles.
DaveB
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

At 18 my classic car insurance was around £350 fully comprehensive, that was with AON and eventually Towergate/FJ.

It was cheap because I was still a learner.

It wasn't until I reached 30 and then suddenly my annual premiums fell by about 50%

So be a learner till you reach 30 is my advice :wink:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Looks like insurance firrms haven't changed since I was 17!
I was charged £60 in 1973 for third party only cover. This meant I could sit in the car outside the house but couldn't drive it!
Mind you the car was an ex police 3 litre straight six Wolseley 6/99 with overdrive and I did drive it to it's new owner a few weeks later and was paid £45 and a ride home. 💷😁