Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Indents in carpet

Post by cadetchris »

How have people prevented the front seats from making dents in the carpets in the rear footwells?

I have had the seats in my minor for less than 6 months and just the sheer weight of them have caused annoying impressions in the carpets that will inevitably make holes in the long run.

Is there a device that will spread their weight a bit or is it something that I will just have to live with?
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Indents in carpet

Post by KeithL »

I used to put a piece of wood underneath to raise the back of the seat up which sorted the indent problem as well. Not very elegant though,

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What ever you put under the seat legs will make some form of indent in the carpet.

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

cadetchris wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:58 am that will inevitably make holes in the long run.
It's less likely they'll make holes, and more likely you'll get rust stains from my own experience.

On our early '63 it actually has two little rubber rings round the frame to stop this. They're very thin rubber, so not used to lift the seat in any way, merely to protect the carpet, and since the car was locked up ( I believe soon after it was purchased by the original owner) we can only presume this was either a factory or dealer item which most have lost over the years if they had them.
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

It does appear to be one of those little design qwerks that has been carried through it’s production run, or I could just be being a bit a*al about the whole thing considering I have just finished restoring it.
Quendil
Minor Friendly

Post by Quendil »

I used large rubber castor cups on my traveller which stopped the carpet getting rust marks from the frame
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Some sort of stiff matt like those that go under office chairs to protect carpets perhaps? A spare rear floor rubber matt underneath?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I'm sure we used an old carpet sample which was vaguely the right colour at one stage.