Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jaybeee1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Help I need a Wiring Diagram with Alternator

Post by Jaybeee1 »

Can anyone help me with a copy of a wiring disgram for a MM1000 with an alternator I am working on it now and I cannot find anything suitable on here (proably user error)
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Help I need a Wiring Diagram with Alternator

Post by simmitc »

Sounds like a simple request, BUT...
Is it originally a dynamo and converted to alternator, or did it leave the factory with an alternator?
If originally dynamo, is the control box still in place?
Model number of the alternator?
+ve or -ve earth?
Year of the car?

The conversions have used various methods of amending the harness!
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

You won’t find one because there isn’t one, apart from I think some of the very last Minors supplied to the Police, but they had an alternator with a separate regulator and was positive earth.
The alternator fitted to your car will most likely be negative earth with the regulator built in and would have been DIY fitted, with many variations it is anybody’s guess to how it is wired.
It is simple though, one or two high current lead/s direct to the battery most likely connected at the starter solenoid and a small wire that goes to the charge warning lamp which is fed via the ignition switch.
If you have a specific problem, a description and photo then someone may help.

Regards John
Jaybeee1
Minor Friendly

Post by Jaybeee1 »

Ok thanks can anyone point me to one for a negative earth B reg 1964 from memory
Jaybeee1
Minor Friendly

Post by Jaybeee1 »

Also I have 2 amber lights on dashboard one goes out but the other doesn't can someone help me with what bith lights are for? I thought one was oil pressure but what is the other one for?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Jaybeee1 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:28 pm Ok thanks can anyone point me to one for a negative earth B reg 1964 from memory
You haven't understood the point people are making.
There is no standard conversion diagram, for a 64 or any other year.
It depends entirely on the conversion that has been done, a kit supplied and by which company, or a DIY make it up installation.

Your best option is to post photos here of the relevant parts i.e.:
The back of the Alternator showing the connections and the wiring going to them.
The top left area of the engine bay bulkhead, as you look at it, showing the wiring, i.e.where the fuse box, Voltage Regulator etc were originally and still might be.
Then we might be able to work out what you have.

Also a good idea to tell us why you're
working on it now
, because it might be relevant.

As for the 2 Amber lights problem, what month in 64 is the car, and is the Speedo Black or Gold?
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Jaybeee1, could you also please give a little background:
How long have you had the car, what is your experience with this type of vehicle?
What does the oil look like on the dipstick, has it had a recent oil and filter change?
If you look at the oil filter, is there a spade terminal on the on the top of the head, and is there a wire connected to it?

Some of the questions that you are being asked may seem irrelevant, but the answers will help us to help you, and might shed some light on your orange light staying on.

Sorry to be picky, but:
one goes out but the other doesn't
doesn't really explain anything. I interpret that as meaning that both come on when the switch the ignition on, but one goes off when the engine starts. However, it could also mean that one is on permanently, regardless of whether the ignition is on or off. Remember, we do not have any knowledge of your car and so you have to explain everything clearly.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've just looked back at Jaybeee1's past post, they don't bode well for the way this one is going.....
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

From Simon's line of questioning, the suggestion is that the second amber light is the 'blocked oil filter' warning light on a black-faced speedo - things will be clearer when the OP answers his questions......
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Indeed, but it hinges on Berni's question about month and speedo, although things can be altered over time, which is why we're all asking questions to try and help the OP. We just need some answers :wink: