V5C Registration Document Wrong Engine Size Cylinder Capacity CC

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Doris53
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

V5C Registration Document Wrong Engine Size Cylinder Capacity CC

Post by Doris53 »

Hi all
I have a 1953 SII that I SORNED when she came into my possession about 18 months ago. I have been restoring the car since, and now want to try and get her back on the road.

I went online (Gov.UK) to tax the car prior to sorting out some insurance. The problem I have is that looking at the V5C it says the Engine Size is 918cc when in fact it is the original 803cc. I have a Heritage Certificate and also the original Warranty from Morris. The chassis and engine numbers all match up with what I have in the car. So, original, never modified. However, niether document states engine size.

If I fill in Section 1 of the V5C, to change details from 918cc to 803cc I am asked to provide evidence in the form of:
- a receipt for the replacement engine
- written evidence from the manufacturer
- an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
-written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

I don't have any such evidence as the car has not been modified!

So, has anyone come across this problem before, and have any advice on what I should do?
Regards
Steve
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: V5C Registration Document Wrong Engine Size Cylinder Capacity CC

Post by svenedin »

Could you ask the club to write on headed paper that your engine number (which is correct on your documents) refers to an 803cc engine?

I have not had your exact problem but I did have an issue with an incorrect digit for the chassis number on the V5C. When I had the car MoT’d the tester recorded another wrong variant of the chassis number. The DVLA wrote to me because the numbers did not match. I supplied photographic evidence of the chassis number, engine number and the heritage certificate by E-mail to the DVLA and didn’t hear anything further until months later when I received a corrected V5C in the post.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Does your Heritage Certificate not confirm the correct engine size? If not, them as above, you might have to ask the club for help.
It doesn't really matter and is obviously just an error caused by the registration authority at some stage, but it is annoying and I can understand why you want it put right.
Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

Thanks to Stephen and ManyMiniors for your responses. On the one hand it could be seen as not a problem, and clearly previous owners have not been concerned (3 previous owners since new). My concern is more to do with validity (or otherwise) of insurance if I needed to make a claim. There would be a discrepency between engine size - albeit mine is less powerful than that registered!
Regards
Steve
Dusty56
Minor Friendly

Post by Dusty56 »

I wrote a covering letter explaining that the tax class won't change as the vehicle is "historic" and no supporting documentation is needed.

This was in reference to my 1948 De Soto where I changed from 2300 cc diesel to 5700 cc petrol.

The V5C came back with the changes in a couple of weeks.
Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

Thanks Dusty56
Seems like the best way forward.
Regards
Steve
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

ours has the wrong capacity (948 and it was 1098 from new) my guess is someone changed the capacity when you got cheap tax for under 1000cc, advice from my insurer was as long as it's insured with the correct capacity insurance it isn't an issue, I have thought about getting it corrected but don't really want to lift the lid off that tin of worms!
Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

Ah okay thanks. I may do teh same then, if/when I get round to insuring it.