Government Alerts

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Government Alerts

Post by kevin s »

I've already experienced it, I was in Cologne last year when the Germans did their first test, nothing dramatic just a message comes up on your phone. Personally I'd be far more worried about the Elon Musk's of the world than governments, virtually every IT project they attempt (this applies to both parties in the UK) is a fiasco.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MorrisJohn »

A few points being made here about authoritarianism and control in relation to these alerts.

I‘m inclined to believe they’re intended for good, but have the potential to be misused. However, I suggest the recent book ’Stolen Focus, why you can’t pay attention‘ as very interesting reading indeed.

The extent to which big tech already tracks, controls and manipulates people’s behaviour is deeply alarming.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Owlsman »

I've already experienced it, I was in Cologne last year when the Germans did their first test, nothing dramatic just a message comes up on your phone. Personally I'd be far more worried about the Elon Musk's of the world than governments, virtually every IT project they attempt (this applies to both parties in the UK) is a fiasco.
Mr Musk's rocket launch the other day wasn't a rip-roaring success either, was it? :D

I'm obliged, MJ, for the reference to the 'Stolen Focus' book. It's not one I'd heard of but having now read the synopsis, it does indeed sound like a worthwhile read.

Personally, I'm a cynic at the best of times, but as far as these national alerts are concerned, I don't feel particularly disturbed (I might be tomorrow about 3:00pm if I'm just dropping off, in my rocker! :D :D ). Yeah, I accept to some extent, that big tech companies do manipulate - rather than control - my behaviour. If my Fit-Bit gizzmo tells me I've only got another few hundred steps to go, to get to the magic but very arbitrary 1,000 number, I'll probably make an extra effort and walk round the block again! That's no bad thing however.

Control of people's behaviour is nothing new. Way before tech companies existed, as we know them today, I guy called Adolf Hitler managed to influence the thoughts and minds of a whole nation in ways that we consider unimaginable today. I've read various accounts and theories of how he managed to do that.......and I still can't get my head round it. VP is doing something chillingly similar in Russia today.

Sorry folks. I've veered off topic a bit and it's all getting a bit deep and thought provoking! It only started out as a heads-up from Simon about our phones making a funny noise tomorrow afternoon. :D :D Hopefully, I won't be about to drop off at 3:00pm anyway, as if the weather is anything like, I'll be out and about somewhere 'cos it's Drive-it-Day. Whoo Hoo - no more thoughts of the world's despots - let's just enjoy our Moggies and other classics.