Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jimmy167
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1960 minor speedo removal

Post by jimmy167 »

I want to remove the Black speedo from my 1960 Minor and replace it with a age related white one .
I know it should be easy , there is no screw holes on the side ,on the right side not even the bracket and guide hole .
I've removed the glove boxes to get good access but can't see what is holding it .
Any ideas would be welcome .
svenedin
Minor Legend

Re: 1960 minor speedo removal

Post by svenedin »

The original gloveboxes have a hole in the side of the box near the top on the speedo side. This is to access the screw that holds the speedo in place. All you have to do is loosen (not remove) these 2x screws (on on either side) and the speedo should pull forwards from the dashboard.

Taking out the gloveboxes is not necessary but taking them out does help you to see all the wires better. Sometimes replacement gloveboxes do not have the hole.

Disconnect the battery before doing any work behind the dashboard as there are some permanently live wires there and it is too easy to cause a short circuit with tools.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Here is a picture from my car. It is a bit rubbish because it was not meant to show how the speedo is secured.
IMG_8501.jpeg
IMG_8501.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 2934 times

Stephen
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Thanks for your comments Stephen ,I know about the holes and about just slackening the screws ,they are not there and the speedo will not move .
I have a Traveller and can take the speedo forward in 2 minutes . the bracket is missing on the right side and no screw on the left side .
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Its probanly been superglued in then.. try heat then successively larger hammers...? :wink: :wink: :wink:

T
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

:tu1: I think you are right
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

The problem is solved ,I have a friend who worked for the police , I told him i suspected that my speedo had been glued in position .
He produced a liquid that melts glue , he used it to remove adhesive left on panels when decals were removed .
Spayed in seam left for 30 minutes used a suction thing for holding fishing rods to cars and off it came .
All because I wanted a period silver speedo instead of the black one .
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

jimmy167 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:31 pm The problem is solved ,I have a friend who worked for the police , I told him i suspected that my speedo had been glued in position .
He produced a liquid that melts glue , he used it to remove adhesive left on panels when decals were removed .
Spayed in seam left for 30 minutes used a suction thing for holding fishing rods to cars and off it came .
All because I wanted a period silver speedo instead of the black one .
Well done!

Can you fit the replacement speedo with the correct brackets etc? The speedo should (as you know) be easy to remove to change bulbs or whatever.

Stephen

Stephen
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

All now as it should be , next job is to change the steering wheel back to the Bango type .