Tank sender unit

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
scaggs2012
MMOC Member: Yes

Tank sender unit

Post by scaggs2012 »

Can I fit a later type tank sender unit into my 1962 Morris minor, as I am finding hard to get an original type.
don58van
Minor Addict

Re: Tank sender unit

Post by don58van »

My understanding is that you will need to change the fuel gauge for the later type too. Your existing one will not read anywhere near correctly with the later sender.
Don
scaggs2012

Post by scaggs2012 »

I thought I might Have had to.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Later type is not interchangeable with earlier.
Later type requires a voltage stabiliser.
The early ones are a simple magnetic arrangement. The Voltage stabiliser type is a bi-metal heating coil.
It's easy to tell which you have, the Moving iron flicks up into position as soon as it's powered.
The Bimetal one moves slowly as warms up; it has the advantage of not bouncing all over the place as the fuel slops around.

A more detailed description of the difference can be found here: https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/h ... fuel_gauge
Basil the 1955 series II

Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

If you are dexterous you can open it and clean the contacts and put a little more set on the blades..

John ;-)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Is it really THAT hard to find the correct part? I have never found it very difficult to obtain the correct parts to keep my 1950s Minor working properly. Just a few telephone calls occasionally to parts suppliers in the magazine is all I've ever needed.
I don't see any reason why you cannot fit the later sender unit if you also fit the later gauge and voltage stabiliser but wouldn't it be a better job to find the correct part?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:18 pm Is it really THAT hard to find the correct part?
Well there's no stock at all the usual suppliers.... and hasn't been for a while.
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

ManyMinors wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:18 pm Is it really THAT hard to find the correct part? I have never found it very difficult to obtain the correct parts to keep my 1950s Minor working properly. Just a few telephone calls occasionally to parts suppliers in the magazine is all I've ever needed.
I don't see any reason why you cannot fit the later sender unit if you also fit the later gauge and voltage stabiliser but wouldn't it be a better job to find the correct part?
It's sometimes surprising which parts are difficult to find. I have had trouble with wiper wheel boxes recently and my car is later. MMOC spares helped me out.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen