Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: LCV Register

Post by les »

Well I know that Chris, I’ve said as much in my previous posts, and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s over, for that very reason. However my last post suggested you raise the question on facebook, i presume you go there. How do you feel about doing that ? You’re an influential enough type of guy, we then might then get some definitive answers.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A notice has now appeared when trying to reach the Register it says ———server cannot be found.
Any luck Chris ?

MM1949
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MM1949 »

If you click on Minor LCV Register top left it takes you to the new landing page, there is no forum link in the drop downs so it looks like the forum is no more.
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

:-( I was just trying to get onto the forum again and like you found an error 404 message but if went to the 'Go to site home' link on the error page it takes you to the LCV Register site (dated 2023), there is no link or mention of the forum just links to Facebook and Twitter (though these are both rather old links). :-( so guess the forum has indeed met it's end.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

It has ceased to be, it is an EX Register
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for both replies. Is that official Chris?

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

I don't know if it's official but Russ posted on the fb page about the new LCV website earlier on. Having clicked onto the new site, no mention of the forum or any links at all, so I guess it's finished.
IMG_5950.PNG
IMG_5950.PNG (215.45 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

:-( As Les says - thanks Chris for your info.

It is a shame there was no mention of it not being available again. Not even letting us know it is going to cease but just disappearing is disappointing as there were members who were still using it.
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

During the last server update the Minor Lcv Register site crashed a new website has been developed and is up and running. However the phpBB run forum suffered during the updates and has crashed. We have since been trying to recover the data and get it back up but all efforts have failed at the moment. Sadly these forums attract all sorts of malware etc.... so we are continuing to investigate.

The Minor LCV Register exists it's just the forum that we have issues with. Les you had to e mail me mate to find out why!
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Fair enough Russ. Thanks for the info in your recent post. Hope all is well with you.

TRIUMPH66
Minor Friendly

Post by TRIUMPH66 »

The Minor LCV Register is still active and gathering momentum on its FB Page. Unfortunately forums are a dying phenomenon as most people now use social media such as Facebook and X (Twitter) due to ease of uploading photos and attracting a wider audience. I prefer the forums for ease of access to threads and information over Facebook but alas a lack of active users isn’t viable.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

‘Most people now use Social Media’ says it all. Good luck to them. Hope we here don’t throw the towel in.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

There are still plenty of people, like myself, who don't use social media at all and have no interest in it. A shame if we are unable to join in :wink:
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Feel free to join the Minor LCV Register as a paid up member visit website

Www.minorLCVreg.co.uk where you also register you LCV with us on line follow link to register on line
Russell Harvey

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

The down side of (anti)social media is the short attention span, the randomness and nastiness of people.

I used to have a Twitter account when I ran my business, but when I retied, I closed the X account because I simply hadn't used it for 2 years. Too many nasty people on there.

The MMOC FB Group is now at over 16,000 'members', but I would estimate probably under 1000 actually post anything at all, and a few hundred within that do anything worthwhile.
Open groups collect people with their own agendas, generally based around Google search algorithms and collecting data.

The most repetitive question on the group is probably 'What's this switch for?' being of course the one under the Speedo.
It probably averages every 2-3 weeks.
This usually provokes a load of wild suggestions; for some time 'The Flux Capacitor' was a frequent response, though less so now as the responders have probably got bored with writing it.
For the person who really knows nothing, asking about something on facebook often gets a confusing plethora of responses from the accurate to the downright idiotic/dangerous, just leaving the Poster to work out which is which.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

TRIUMPH66
Minor Friendly

Post by TRIUMPH66 »

As I said I prefer the forums as you can search for topics easier but unfortunately social media have taken over and the LCV Forum had very few active members on there at the time. In fact I posted a post and over the course of the year only had one response on it whereas I posted the same post on FB and had replies almost within hours. Hopefully the MMOC forum will continue for the time being.
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Well said Andrew not to mention the cost of server hosting funded by members for non members
Russell Harvey

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The MMOC forum allows non members to access the forum, this is handy because many non members are people that may once have owned a Minor and now wish to sell/donate spares they may have collected in the past. To make membership compulsory would put these people off from doing this. That includes LCV folk free to post here without being a member.

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Difference is Les the MMOC have many more members than the Minor LCV register, sadly we are a small club, and need to cut out costs to survive. Incidentally no LCV register members have contacted me via e mail wondering what had happened to the forum. Hope that answers you question mate by all means drop me an e mail if you wish to discuss further
Russell Harvey

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I take your point Russ and see the issue involved regarding the membership number differences. Thanks for your reply. Keep well.