Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

I want to see clearly now

Post by Oldmogman »

Does anyone know if it’s possible to buy wiper blade refills for the Morris?

I checked out ESM, which seems to sell only the complete chrome blade holder (rather than just the blade), which are rather expensive and unnecessary given mine are in good condition.

Alternatively, could anyone recommend decent quality re-fill strips? The ones I got from my local motor factor seem to be made from chocolate in China…
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: I want to see clearly now

Post by firedrake1942 »

Beaulieu autojumble had still-boxed new old stock wiper blades a-plenty last year. I don't know if the dealers do on-line sales but it is worth a deeper search than the usual Minor parts suppliers or 'pop' down to the up-coming Beaulieu auto jumble and `moggyfes't too.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

You think you've got a problem, I'd love better blades for my SII.... :roll: :D :D

I see that ESM do 2 different non-original 8" blade, but I can't fathom out what the arms would be to fit them....

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/searc ... fscr829062

Does anyone use them?

I don't have any experience of the wipers on 1000 Minors, but would some cut to length material, such as this fit:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124550579464
Basil the 1955 series II

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

geoberni wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 pm You think you've got a problem, I'd love better blades for my SII.... :roll: :D :D

I see that ESM do 2 different non-original 8" blade, but I can't fathom out what the arms would be to fit them....

Does anyone use them?

I don't have any experience of the wipers on 1000 Minors, but would some cut to length material, such as this fit:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124550579464
Berni,

One of the blades on the page you link to uses a rubber peg for the attachment to the wiper arm. All of the others are the same type of attachment (bayonet) as my Minor 1000 I think.

I have had this type for decades (at least since the early 1990's). Easy to fit, secure. Being stainless they effectively last for ever except for the spring that tensions the arm against the windscreen (which can be replaced).

Stephen
IMG_8630.jpeg
IMG_8630.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2483 times
IMG_8629.jpeg
IMG_8629.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2483 times
IMG_8628.jpeg
IMG_8628.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2483 times
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 pm You think you've got a problem, I'd love better blades for my SII.... :roll: :D :D

Does anyone use them?

I have seen aftermarket wiper arms fitted to Series11 Minors that those alternative blades could be fitted to. As ESM say, they are not an original fitment, but they were a popular modification years ago and my own MM had them. They did improve the screen clearing a bit.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

svenedin wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:17 pm
Berni,

One of the blades on the page you link to uses a rubber peg for the attachment to the wiper arm. All of the others are the same type of attachment (bayonet) as my Minor 1000 I think.
Yes, the rubber peg type are the standard SII wipers, which Basil still has, about as effective as a child's toy window squeegee.
I guess they were the same wipers that had been fitted to pre-war vehicles. :roll:
(thanks for the photos to illustrate the fitting- that's commonplace even now.)
ManyMinors wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 pm

I have seen aftermarket wiper arms fitted to Series11 Minors that those alternative blades could be fitted to. As ESM say, they are not an original fitment, but they were a popular modification years ago and my own MM had them. They did improve the screen clearing a bit.
I guess the question then is 'Presumably they need Clap Hand S3 wiper arms, which will fit as direct replacement to the spindles :-? ?'
Basil the 1955 series II