Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

My bargain of the month

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
For some time now I have been meaning to replace my numberplate lights. I had tried to 'refurbish' the existing ones but they proved too worn out and I only got the passenger side going again for a few minutes, whilst the drivers side soldiered on, dimly, by itself thereafter.....
So time to replace.
But you know me, whilst wanting anything I buy to last, I don't necessarily like to spend more than I have to and whilst perusing alternatives I found these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292431473020
Now I know they're plastic but bear with me.
The base being (a slightly flexible) plastic won't corrode like the old one, plus the 'internals' are simplicity itself. There are two spade connectors either side of a (supplied) festoon bulb, held in place within a plastic 'bridge' which goes over the top of the bulb and includes the fixing screw hole for the chromed plastic cover.
This screw hole also happens to line up perfectly with the fixing hole in the original Lucas metal covers and glass inserts, result! :tu1:
The chromed plastic ones can sit in place temporarily, whilst I refurbish the crusty Lucas originals, the glass inserts to which have already cleaned up a treat.
So when I've finished they will look original (to all but the closest inspectors) but have the bonus of having a baseplate that won't rot and internal components that will be (hopefully) less fault prone and easier to maintain anyway.
Additionally, when fitting to the numberplate's backing plate, the bolt holes lined up perfectly.
The hole for the wiring is in the wrong place, in the centre. However this is sealed off by the backing plate once installed. Which means I then created 'wire sized' holes top and bottom with my drill, thus reducing access for any water splashed up there when it's (been) raining.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)