Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dotty traveller
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Headlights go of

Post by Dotty traveller »

Headlights go of when mainbeam switch is pushed. We're working fine.any advice please
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Headlights go of

Post by svenedin »

I think this is because you have headlights with 2 filaments in one bulb; a main beam filament and a dipped beam filament. When you switch on main beam the dipped beam filaments are switched off (this is normal) but in your case the main beams are not being energised. Problem with the dip switch? It may be that the switch is full of crud. Does the main beam warning light on the speedo (blue light) come on? If it does, though it sounds unlikely, it may be that by chance the main beam filaments in both headlights have blown.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Almost certainly the Dip Switch failing to change over correctly. I had a similar problem with mine.
Depending on the age of your car, there are 2 different Dip Switches used, the early or late, I have no idea at what point they changed, if it was at the beginning of the 1000 S3, or later. Both are available to buy, but the early ones are twice the price of the late ones.... :roll:
My car is a SII, so the earlier one, which is riveted together, ..... but I can't imagine the internals are much different on the later ones.

I made a short youtube video on fixing mine: https://youtu.be/jCTcLwJVuDs
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I agree with Berni, in that I doubt there is much difference internally and they both function the same, it depends on how stuck on originality you are I suppose.
The main differences appear to be: 1: That the early ones feature 'screw on' wiring connections whereas the late ones feature 'push on' connections, which in my view will be much easier to deal with if you should ever need to clean them up whilst it's still fitted to the car.
2: The late ones are about a tenner cheaper.
I know which I'd buy......
I've included links to both below, plus the section of wiring loom for the dip switch, if yours looks a bit 'iffy' (note: I've bought this section of loom in the past and it was easily twice as long as needed, so I made two out of the one :D .
Though they may have cottoned on to this by now and shortened it..... :wink:
I've had one off in the past too and, like Berni, found it needed a good clean up (and out).
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... es-p829734
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... te-p829708
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... rs-p829735
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... ks-p829861
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

As above, most likely the switch, but it could be (a) a loose or broken wire (b) both lights have failed - unusual, but it does happen, particularly if one fails and you don't realise it, and the other side then fails weeks later.

Do you have a multimeter that you can use for testing purposes?
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Simmitc is completely correct. Don’t assume the switch is faulty until proven.

Posters jumping to uncorroborated conclusions - as is often the case on the forum.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Posters jumping to uncorroborated conclusions - as is often the case on the forum.
I only read the replies as 'Posters offering suggestions and opinions based on their own past experiences'.
I can't see anyone ordering or even strongly suggesting that the OP take one particular course of action.
Berni even added a link to a video of him 'fixing' his, rather than replacing it.
Perhaps posters are jumping to uncorroborated conclusions - about other posters................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

oliver90owner wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:16 pm Simmitc is completely correct. Don’t assume the switch is faulty until proven.
:-? :-?
Somebody asks a question and gets reasonable responses based on the limited detail provided. No indication as to if it is a consistent matter every time the Dip Switch is operated.
Perhaps we should have a checklist of items requiring answers before offering any replies?
Should we have asked which lights go off?
Headlights go of when mainbeam switch is pushed.
Is the Dip Switch cycling Dip/Off/Dip, or is it Main/Off/Main? :o

My reply started
Almost certainly the Dip Switch failing to change over correctly.
i.e. not the definitive, but most probable.

Simon replied with
As above, most likely the switch,...
basically the same thing, giving the most probably failure.

If your post is an indication of your attitude to people offering reasoned responses in the forum, I most strongly suggest you go nowhere near the facebook group.
The quality of response on there will raise your blood pressure to unacceptable levels, seriously risking your health...
I can guarantee there would be several responses there to 'Check the Fuse'.... :roll:

Take care of yourself...
Basil the 1955 series II