Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
radioactiveman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Coolant

Post by radioactiveman »

Hello,

I'm planning on replacing my heater hoses and I imagine I'll lose a little bit of coolant which I should probably replace.

Currently, my car seems to have green coolant, which hopefully is the 'good' type. However, as I'm not entirely sure it's ethylene glycol based (previous owner) should I opt for a universal coolant to top up such as

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluecol-BLU001 ... th=1&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPlan-Demon- ... 93&sr=1-18

Or does it not really matter too much?
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Re: Coolant

Post by philipkearney »

Antifreeze that is green or blue is ethylene glycol. OAT antifreeze is red. You should be fine to top up with normal ethylene glycol.
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

philipkearney wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:22 pm Antifreeze that is green or blue is ethylene glycol. OAT antifreeze is red. You should be fine to top up with normal ethylene glycol.
Thank you! That’s reassuring 😃
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Or you might decide if the coolant has been in the system for an unspecified length of time that now is a good time to drain, flush through and replace with fresh coolant. That is what I would do. If you are replacing the heater hoses give the heater matrix a good flush through by connecting the cylinder head new hose to a hosepipe and the water draining out from the other heater hose. Also flush out the radiator. Then your heater may be a bit better and you have a clean flushed out system for better cooling when the weather finally warms up.

The GREEN coolant may well be a HOAT type antifreeze which is not recommended in classic cars nor is it recommend to mix different types of antifreeze. We do not know for certain though what antifreeze is in you system.

It would be better to flush out your system and refill with Bluecol.

Some info about the different types of antifreeze: https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/hints ... freeze.pdf

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I agree completely that Bluecol is the correct AF for a standard Minor.
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

svenedin wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:21 am Or you might decide if the coolant has been in the system for an unspecified length of time that now is a good time to drain, flush through and replace with fresh coolant. That is what I would do. If you are replacing the heater hoses give the heater matrix a good flush through by connecting the cylinder head new hose to a hosepipe and the water draining out from the other heater hose. Also flush out the radiator. Then your heater may be a bit better and you have a clean flushed out system for better cooling when the weather finally warms up.

The GREEN coolant may well be a HOAT type antifreeze which is not recommended in classic cars nor is it recommend to mix different types of antifreeze. We do not know for certain though what antifreeze is in you system.

It would be better to flush out your system and refill with Bluecol.

Some info about the different types of antifreeze: https://www.mg-cars.org.uk/imgytr/hints ... freeze.pdf

Stephen
Thanks for that, and you're right that seems like it might be a good idea.

Is this process to empty the radiator, fill it up with tap water, empty it again, and fill it with coolant?

I understand it's often advised against using the radiator drain tap, but I've got a new-ish 2020 aluminum one, so I'm guessing that will probably be okay.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Yes or if you’re worried about the radiator drain tap take the bottom hose off. Have a bowl under the car to catch the water.

Stephen
radioactiveman
Minor Fan

Post by radioactiveman »

svenedin wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:09 pm Yes or if you’re worried about the radiator drain tap take the bottom hose off. Have a bowl under the car to catch the water.
Does that leave a bit in the bottom of the radiator?
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

A bit yes but if you leave the bottom hose off and run water through it’s all flushed out.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If your rad is less than three years old it should be absolutely fine to use the drain tap. My tap, which is 68 years old is a different story! :-?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As you have a cast iron engine block and a aluminium radiator - the Bluecol antifreeze in your link above will be perfectly alright in your cooling system.
I have the same combination and the Bluecol in your link above is the antifreeze I use.
As your radiator is quite new the drain plug/tap should come out without any problem. When refitting the drain plug/tap smear the threads in copper-ease.
I have filled my cooling system with distilled water which helps reduce the amount of internal block corrosion.

kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

I have started using the prestone ready mixed stuff in my cars, supposed to have a longer life than regular Bluecol etc.