Braided fuel house

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Braided fuel house

Post by philipkearney »

Evening everyone

I have a query in relation to the braided house feeding fuel from the pump to the carb. When I got this car (1949 car) the SU pump had been rotated forward on a home made bracket to allow the hose banjo to reach the float chamber. The car has the correct H1 carb with float chamber towards the front of the car and the linkage at the rear. Adjusting the position of the pump allowed everything to reach and work correctly.
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2913 times
The hose was leaking so I replaced with a new one from ESM (they seem to be the only supplier) and put the pump back in its correct position. Having done this, the hose will not reach the float chamber. The new hose is the same length as the old one.
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2913 times
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2913 times
Are there two different lengths of hose ? The BMC parts book shows only one. Or is the carb incorrect? I know some had the float chamber to the rear but most are at the front.

All thoughts on this welcome.
JohnV
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Braided fuel house

Post by JohnV »

Glad you posted this, as I ordered the same fuel hose from ESM but haven't yet tried to fit it. Will follow wisdom from others with interest!
I have two Minors in upstate New York. One is the 1961 Traveller my dad bought new that year in London, where I was born. It's had a hard life but is still running cheerfully at 54K miles. The second is the oldest Minor confirmed to survive in North America, a LHD high-light Tourer built in April 1949. It's a total basket case, but will be restored over the coming years.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Morning John

Good to hear from you. Following your latest acquisition with interest!

This is an odd one. The bracket to rotate the pump and the hose were not recent, so must have been done when the car was still in service (still in daily use until about 2018). The car had a factory replacement engine in the 60's (lots of paperwork with the car) and it was a factory replacement carb which is an H1, so not sure what's not right here. I thought there may have been different length pipes for MM and series two cars but the parts manual says not. Hopefully the collective brains will solve it !
IMG_5767.JPG
IMG_5767.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2895 times
All the best,

Philip
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Interesting though I know next to nothing about series MM. The SU AUA66 LP was introduced in 1934 so it is not the pump…. Would it be possible for you to make up your own custom length fuel hose or is it more a question of what is correct and original?
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Series 2 and mm pumps have a 90 degree take off for the fuel pipe which i don't think you have on the pump which might help. Also there are 2 lengths of pipe depending on the float bowl arrangement. Might be worth checking online to make sure you have the longer pipe.

svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

stevey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:51 pm Series 2 and mm pumps have a 90 degree take off for the fuel pipe which i don't think you have on the pump which might help. Also there are 2 lengths of pipe depending on the float bowl arrangement. Might be worth checking online to make sure you have the longer pipe.
Ah yes. Burlen list the AUA25 for the series MM which has a threaded fuel outlet not the push on type like the AUA66. In other respects the pumps look identical.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

stevey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:51 pm Series 2 and mm pumps have a 90 degree take off for the fuel pipe which i don't think you have on the pump which might help. Also there are 2 lengths of pipe depending on the float bowl arrangement. Might be worth checking online to make sure you have the longer pipe.
Stevey, thanks, that's very useful. Interesting to know that there two different lengths. The BMC parts book only lists one hose and ESM only listed one option. None of the other spares suppliers even listed them at all ! I see Burlen have two different lengths so I'll measure the one I have. I'm sure it'll be the shorter of the two sizes.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As Stevey has said, that isn't the right pump connection for the MM/SII. It's illustrated in the Workshop Manual Section B.
pump drawing.JPG
pump drawing.JPG (125.95 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
I took a photo of mine last year for some reason, I think here or on the fb group there was a question about the size of the fitting...
20220401_152410.jpg
20220401_152410.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2841 times
Basil the 1955 series II

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Thanks Berni. It's possible that when the previous owner replaced the pump, they didn't replace the fitting. Luckily I have spares, so have fitted one. Whilst that does help, the pipe is short and a very tight fit. ESM only supply one pipe at16" long. Burlen can supply two lengths, 14" and 17". Whilst 17" would just about do, but at around £70, that's too expensive.

Interestingly, I looked at a 52 tourer that I have that has been untouched since the sixties.it has the same setup and still has the original SU pipe on it and it is considerably longer, about 21" overall. Strange that all the new ones are much shorter.

I have a work around now so it's not a huge issue but being able to get new longer pipes would be nice.
TvdWerf
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by TvdWerf »

What I did was easy, I went with the old hose to a local hose producer. They used the original fittings for the pump and SU, so I only had to tell which length I needed
MM '51 LHD sidevalve
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Thanks Teake, that's pretty much what I ended up doing. I had a spare banjo coupling and the female hose tail to for to the pump, bought some ethanol resistant hose and basically made a new hose that was several inches longer than the off the shelf hose. Works fine now and has plenty of clearance.
IMG_6062.JPG
IMG_6062.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2614 times