Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Doris53
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Ignition Warning Light 1953 Series II

Post by Doris53 »

Hi all

My Ignition Warning Light is knackered and I need to replace it. On trying to get the damn thing out of the car it seems to me to be extremely over-complicated for what is just a warning light. As such, new ones (to original design) are over £40!
So, my questions are:
1. Why is it so complex?
2. Can I fit a simple 12V replacement or is there something about the complexity that means only this design will work?

TIA
Steve
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ignition Warning Light 1953 Series II

Post by oliver90owner »

Your car may be of ‘53 vintage, but that does not necessarily mean much where the ignition lamp is concerned.

There is the possibility that the lamp is not ‘just’ a warning lamp.

What, exactly, is the complication of changing a simple bulb? Not particularly ‘complex’ IMO.

No problem, as long as you adhere to the required specification, I suppose.
Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

oliver90owner wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:22 am Your car may be of ‘53 vintage, but that does not necessarily mean much where the ignition lamp is concerned.

There is the possibility that the lamp is not ‘just’ a warning lamp.

What, exactly, is the complication of changing a simple bulb? Not particularly ‘complex’ IMO.

No problem, as long as you adhere to the required specification, I suppose.
The Ignition Warning Lamp is of 1953 vintage.
I am not trying to change the bulb.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Steve, I haven't got a Series 2 car here to look at, but all the parts lists and manuals suggest that the design of the lamp is the same as other variants: There is a bulb that screws into a holder. Sometimes this is substituted for a bayonet fitting; but in either case, it couldn't be much simpler, and is basically the same as changing a domestic light bulb - but without the need for a step ladder to reach a ceiling light.

In answer to your question 1, could you please explain what has been done to your car to make this such a complex operation? You say that you are not trying to change the bulb, so what precisely are you trying to do? We might be able to offer some further suggestions to help.

As for question 2, yes, any 12 volt lamp of around 3 watt should be absolutely fine. You could even fit an LED if you wanted to! It is the dynamo control box that operates the warning light circuit, it is not the lamp that controls charging.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

I don't suppose by any chance that an alternator has been retro-fitted? That would alter my response.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

simmitc wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:22 pm Steve, I haven't got a Series 2 car here to look at, but all the parts lists and manuals suggest that the design of the lamp is the same as other variants: There is a bulb that screws into a holder. Sometimes this is substituted for a bayonet fitting; but in either case, it couldn't be much simpler, and is basically the same as changing a domestic light bulb - but without the need for a step ladder to reach a ceiling light.

In answer to your question 1, could you please explain what has been done to your car to make this such a complex operation? You say that you are not trying to change the bulb, so what precisely are you trying to do? We might be able to offer some further suggestions to help.

As for question 2, yes, any 12 volt lamp of around 3 watt should be absolutely fine. You could even fit an LED if you wanted to! It is the dynamo control box that operates the warning light circuit, it is not the lamp that controls charging.
Nothing has been done to the car. I am referring to the seemingly complex nature of the construction of the light fitting. It is a pig to remove and seems to me to be more complicated in design than a warning light needs to be. At no point did I say in my original post that I was simply changing the bulb!
Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

unclealec wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:01 pm I don't suppose by any chance that an alternator has been retro-fitted? That would alter my response.
No - the car is original in almost every respect. Dynamo and +ve earth.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I believe I'm correct to say that a 1953 Series II ignition warning lamp is the same as an MM?
The one on top of the dash?

In which case, according to the Workshop Manual Section N.25, it's only a 2.5 V 5 W lamp, whereas all later Minors are 12v 2.2W
Sect N.15 refers 'Panel and Warning Lamps'.

I've not bothered to see how they are connected on the relevant diagrams to explain the difference....
Basil the 1955 series II

Doris53
Minor Friendly

Post by Doris53 »

geoberni wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:28 pm I believe I'm correct to say that a 1953 Series II ignition warning lamp is the same as an MM?
The one on top of the dash?

In which case, according to the Workshop Manual Section N.25, it's only a 2.5 V 5 W lamp, whereas all later Minors are 12v 2.2W
Sect N.15 refers 'Panel and Warning Lamps'.

I've not bothered to see how they are connected on the relevant diagrams to explain the difference....
Yes, it is the one on top of the dash. Thanks.