Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Extra fuse box

Post by kevin s »

If you have used a relay to switch the ignition controlled circuits there is one potential pitfall, the tiny current feeding back through the ignition warning light can be enough to hold the relay engaged and keep the engine running, I've had this happen on 2 cars (minor and TR7V8). They don't do it all the time and some never do it (seemed to be worse with a fully charged battery) if it does don't panic, the solution is very simple just add a diode in ign warning lamp circuit.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Extra fuse box

Post by geoberni »

kevin s wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:57 pm If you have used a relay to switch the ignition controlled circuits there is one potential pitfall, the tiny current feeding back through the ignition warning light can be enough to hold the relay engaged and keep the engine running, I've had this happen on 2 cars (minor and TR7V8). They don't do it all the time and some never do it (seemed to be worse with a fully charged battery) if it does don't panic, the solution is very simple just add a diode in ign warning lamp circuit.
Interesting problem.
A good point, especially as relays aren't necessarily polarity sensitive.
The minimum hold in voltage will also always be less than the required pull in voltage.
I won't bore everyone with the full story, but decades ago I encountered a similar 'Doesn't turn off' snag on an aircraft, which was down to circuit design being affected by poor earthing, causing a solenoid valve to stay on after it had been turned off. Confused the hell out of the pilots :lol: :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II