Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Large capacity battery?

Post by geoberni »

Maurice_Minor wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:30 pm
Thanks for the info. I'm still a little confused, will the 005L when installed with the terminals on the front on the front (As in the pics) present me with Negative on the right & Positive on the left?
No, other way around.Lets' start again.
My car is Neg Earth.
The photo posted a few days ago was a historic image, taken when I got my car (2017), showing a 005R, fitted with the posts to the front. So the Positive is to the left as viewed.
The battery now fitted is a 005L, hence the posts are at the back putting the Positive on the left. See below from 2021.
The convention with batteries appears to be to place the labels on the face nearest the posts and the the top label such that the posts are at the 'bottom' of the label. :-?
So the fancy 'front' is to the bulkhead and the boring safety label is facing forward. I'll soon be moving that to the side and adding a period Lucas Sticker.
20211201_112237.jpg
20211201_112237.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 741 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

mobylette wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:15 am The 075 battery suits a negative earth application well:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx1075/
Thanks for the info. Tanya has a special deal on a 075 60Ah battery with I think I'll go for. The problem with an 038 battery, its fine when the car is used all the time, or kept in a warm garage or there are no issues causing the car not to start, but in poor conditions you get 3 or 4 turns then its useless.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Maurice_Minor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:52 pm
mobylette wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:15 am The 075 battery suits a negative earth application well:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx1075/
Thanks for the info. Tanya has a special deal on a 075 60Ah battery with I think I'll go for. The problem with an 038 battery, its fine when the car is used all the time, or kept in a warm garage or there are no issues causing the car not to start, but in poor conditions you get 3 or 4 turns then its useless.
There’s always the starting handle!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

I tried that. It brought back memories of the early 70's when winters were cold & every morning you'd be met by the sight of people trying to start their cars, the depressing sound of batteries on their last legs valiantly trying to breathe life into dead, frozen engines. The only car I ever owned that responded to a starting handle was my silly but lovely 2CV, of course that had a motor the size of a sewing machine, so it was easy to spin.
Last week I tried to start my moggie with the starting handle & nearly did myself a mischief!
Incidentally Tanya is delivering my new battery today, I only ordered it yesterday!
This is like my first Moggie, it was ex GPO & a "company car" & one of about 10 owned by a musical instrument rental company.
GPO_Moggie_3-1.jpeg
GPO_Moggie_3-1.jpeg (88.67 KiB) Viewed 679 times
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I have to confess it’s a long time since I’ve used the starting handle. I used to have the “knack” and found it easy but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t find it so easy now. I will give it a go for old times sake!
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

svenedin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:40 pm I have to confess it’s a long time since I’ve used the starting handle. I used to have the “knack” and found it easy but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t find it so easy now. I will give it a go for old times sake!
It should be pretty easy if the engine, ignition system and fuel supply are in good shape and set up right. Quick crank of the handle and - 'ka-boom', fires up straight away! 8)