Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philipkearney
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris minor travelogue book

Post by philipkearney »

Has anyone ever seen a short book called 'Coleman's Scottish Drive' ? It's a relatively short book written by John Coleman who famously drove an Austin 7 from Buenos Aires to New York in the sixties. He wrote this book, a travelogue of a journey around Scotland in his Morris Minor.
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG (56.68 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Has anyone ever read the book or know where I can obtain a copy ? I can't find one anywhere.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Morris minor travelogue book

Post by philthehill »

John Coleman, 81 died at the wheel of his Morris Minor on the 5th of Jan 2010 at the junction of Common Lane and Warsash Road, Titchfield, Hampshire on his way back from his publishers. It appears that he lost control of the car on the icy road surface.

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Thanks Phil, that stirs some memories. I think I remember reading about that at the time. Can't have been much later after he had finished the book. The trip around Scotland's was for his 80th birthday.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

99% topic drift, but "Coleman's Drive", his account of driving across South America, was inspired by "Tschiffely's Ride - Southern Cross to Pole Star" in which the eponymous adventurer rides on two feral Argentinian horses from Buenos Aires to Washington DC in the 1920s.
Coleman in effect recreated the experience in an Austin 7.

It is without doubt one of the best reads I have ever enjoyed.

Should anyone unaware be inspired by my recommendation to buy a secondhand copy; if you don't agree with me I will refund your money.
Last edited by unclealec on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Excellent recommendation, I may just follow your advice and seek a copy out.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

philthehill wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:39 pm John Coleman, 81 died at the wheel of his Morris Minor on the 5th of Jan 2010 at the junction of Common Lane and Warsash Road, Titchfield, Hampshire on his way back from his publishers. It appears that he lost control of the car on the icy road surface.
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/484164 ... -accident/

I was sure I'd read about this previously.
neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I don't have a subscription to be able to read it but do remember finding this article from the Telegraph before.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/cl ... Minor.html

Part 2 is readable though.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/cl ... t-two.html
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Thanks Neil. I think it was these links that originally put me on to the book. I found them when googling for something else. They've just whet my appetite to read the rest of it. It's not a big book at only 67 pages but those articles certainly give the gist of it.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

unclealec wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:35 pm 99% topic drift, but "Coleman's Drive", his account of driving across South America, was inspired by "Tschiffely's Ride - Southern Cross to Pole Star" in which the eponymous adventurer rides on two feral Argentinian horses from Buenos Aires to Washington DC in the 1920s.
Coleman in effect recreated the experience in an Austin 7.

It is without doubt one of the best reads I have ever enjoyed.

Should anyone unaware be inspired by my recommendation to buy a secondhand copy; if you don't agree with me I will refund your money.

In the light of your very strong recommendation I bought a copy of the book and I shall NOT be approaching you for reimbursement; it is a truly remarkable account of what any sane person would regard as an utterly mad, not to say impossible, undertaking. My wonderment at his achievement is only compounded by this analysis and road test of exactly the same model Austin 7 as Coleman acquired (from its abandonment in a ditch) and then used for what was clearly an even more epic trip in 1969 than it would be nowadays:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCKjTp62_M8
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Now awaiting delivery of the story of John Coleman's epic drive from Buenos Aires to New York in his Austin 7 in the 1920'S.
A hardback first edition too and in very good condition.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

philthehill wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:04 pm Now awaiting delivery of the story of John Coleman's epic drive from Buenos Aires to New York in his Austin 7 in the 1920'S.
Er, it was in 1959 Phil.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well spotted :tu1:
The Austin 7 build date should have read 1920's not the date of the journey. Silly me. :-(
The Austin 7 was 1925 model and the drive took place in the late 1950's according to the web entries.
I look forward to having a good read.

philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Well, having still failed to locate a copy of his Scottish Drive book, it very much sounds like I'll have to buy a copy of this one instead. All of these recommendations can't be wrong !