Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller door window operation

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
A small issue but something that has been bugging me for a while is that the passenger doors window stuck once wound down a couple of inches.
If you then 'force' the issue --- "you will open!" -- it gave way with a sharp click!
Then it would wind open fully and close, with no more issues, until the next time......................
Anyway, being I'm usually in the drivers seat it didn't bother me that often and I put it in the 'I will get round to fixing that one day' pile.
However last Wednesday I went out for a trip to a small local motor museum with Rick, a fellow member of MADMOG and you guessed it, the window stuck when he tried to open it.
Enough was enough, the window issue moved up the queue of 'things to do' and today I took the time to strip off the door furniture and card to investigate.
What did it turn out to be?
Well I suspected the non standard screws attaching the door pull might be too long................ Or it might be the door lock catch mechanism (Elsie May has a later externally locking passenger door fitted)........
Something complicated and hard to get at anyway.......
Well...... it did involve the door catch mechanism but not directly.
With the door card removed, I could see that every time you attempted to wind the window down the thin linking bar between the catch and the internal door opening handle 'twisted' before finally allowing the window to pass and open.
Feeling inside I could tell the wider plate on the frame under the window was catching but not on the linking bar itself, it was catching on the (by now semi-detached) strip of sound deadening felt that was originally glued to it.
Pulling the felt completely off and removing it from the door has solved the 'sticking' problem and the window now winds up and down quite happily.
Whether removing the remnants of this felt strip will result in any rattles when the car is being driven remains to be seen................
Oh, well...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)