calling the police

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: calling the police

Post by stuffedpike20 »

simmitc wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:47 am
Research has shown that E scooter users were pedestrians and public transport users before their introduction, so E scooters do not cut down the numbers of cars in use.
Could you please quote your source. I'm not disputing the data, I'm just interested to know from where it came as I haven't seen it before. Thanks.
Yes it is on the Living Streets website.
The meeting of the Transport Select Committee was in 2020.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:36 am Cycling on the pavement has been an offence since 1835.
Correct, unless the pavement has been legally designated as shared use. Many pavements have either been built as shared use or have been retro designated shared use through a TRO. These pavements will usually have a blue shared use rounded on the sign posts - but not always. However, none of this should support reckless cycling or use of invalid vehicles. Under the hierarchy of users, pedestrians are most vulnerable and thus should be at the top of the hierarchy. Sadly not everyone respects this though ☹️
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The top 10 fastest ones all top 80mph :o :o
Let's hope we never see them in this country, otherwise we'll likely see some unlicensed morons trying to use them on motorways............ :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

They already have Mike.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:24 pm
The top 10 fastest ones all top 80mph :o :o
Let's hope we never see them in this country, otherwise we'll likely see some unlicensed morons trying to use them on motorways............ :roll:
Best wishes,
Mike.
It would certainly be a short lived experiment - and they'd be prime candidates for the Darwin awards !
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Just search 'E scooter on motorway' on youtube.

A taste of things to come.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Morons putting everyone in danger.

Alan
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

It would seem because of the "E" prefix, these scooters & their riders, have, like cyclists, been afforded the status of "Sainthood" or "Beatification". They can do no wrong. They require neither insurance nor registration & can therefore run amok without fear of retribution or legal censure. In both cases the police, like maiden aunts, reach for their smelling salts & wring their hands in confusion & fear.
The climate change protestors or "E"co activists also live under this halo. They can block a motorway & wreck the livlehoods of 1000's without let or hindrance & worse still there are no journalists who will dare infiltrate these groups to discover who is organising & supplying the logistics to get these people to the right place at the right time.
I'm afraid anyone with Eco credentials is now above the law.
The mindset of many of those in these groups, "The rest of us don't matter"
https://youtu.be/xI5rWP9picc
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

!

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Ha ha, I enjoyed that Maurice; and not too far from the truth!

I was walking with my wife and dog on a narrow pavement yesterday. My wife was carrying a package, and I was holding the dog lead.
E scooterist came up behind us and dinged his bell. My wife was startled and unfortunately moved to one side, allowing him to pass. I said,

'Don't ring your bell at us, your scooter is illegal, get it off the footpath'.

I got back a mouthful of abuse that I can't print here, and he carried on down the footpath.

Didn't phone the police...can't be bothered any more. There does not seem any point.
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

"Didn't phone the police...can't be bothered any more. There does not seem any point."

Really? I can't imagine why.
cop.JPG
cop.JPG (170.65 KiB) Viewed 7236 times
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I had an interesting chat with a lady this morning who has a sister working as a Police Inspector.

As she drove off her driveway, a lad on an illegal E scooter ran into the wing of her car and dented it in two places. He went over the bonnet, but got back on the scooter and scooted off.

When she contacted her insurance company (probably can't name them... but rhymes with 'admirable') they told her she could not claim because she had..
'Pulled out on a vulnerable road user'. and that...'E scooters are legal'.

An Insurance company telling a Police Inspector that 'E scooters are legal'. So much confusion.

:roll:
Maurice_Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Maurice_Minor »

Anyone on any wheeled form of transport using the public right of way should be forced to carry insurance & the object they are in charge of registered with ID.
I bet cyclists will be seething with rage at the proposal below, the problem is they and others can literally mow down men women & children & flee the scene laughing, knowing there is little chance of them being brought to justice.
https://bit.ly/3UIkLA7
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Re: !

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:26 am Ha ha, I enjoyed that Maurice; and not too far from the truth!

I was walking with my wife and dog on a narrow pavement yesterday. My wife was carrying a package, and I was holding the dog lead.
E scooterist came up behind us and dinged his bell. My wife was startled and unfortunately moved to one side, allowing him to pass. I said,

I got back a mouthful of abuse that I can't print here, and he carried on down the footpath.

Didn't phone the police...can't be bothered any more. There does not seem any point.
Do you have a licence for your dog? No. Lots of bitter and angry old men on this forum.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:56 pm

Do you have a licence for your dog? No. Lots of bitter and angry old men on this forum.
What?

Lots of people concerned at the general breakdown of society where rules are ignored and other citizens are placed at risk of harm because of it.
The world is advancing at great pace and all too often people don't consider the repercussions of their action. Then when it all turns to a complete crock of poop, they're surprised....
Basil the 1955 series II

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I don't think the world is 'advancing', mostly more like regressing..... :-(
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:26 am Ha ha, I enjoyed that Maurice; and not too far from the truth!

I am not required to have a license for my dog at this present time JOWETT. If I was; I would have one.

By your posts, I assume that you scoot and/or cycle on the pavement?
Or own a scooter and/or cycle shop?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

geoberni wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:21 pm

What?

Lots of people concerned at the general breakdown of society where rules are ignored and other citizens are placed at risk of harm because of it.
The world is advancing at great pace and all too often people don't consider the repercussions of their action. Then when it all turns to a complete crock of poop, they're surprised....
I could not have put it any better myself geoberni.
Thank you.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yes, I occasionally cycle on the pavement, because there are terrible motorists too (who would have thought). But, I'm mostly interested in getting from A to B with the minimum of hassle, not mowing down children and old ladies with dogs. Aren't I bad.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I would just ask you, and other pavement cyclists one question...

Where do you want pedestrians to go?

You are committing an offence and endangering law abiding, often vulnerable citizens in order to get to where YOU want to go.

The latest version of the Highway Code gives pedestrians the most protection.

Would YOU like them to all stay at home so that YOU can continue to get to where YOU want to go without being inconvenienced by pesky walkers? :roll:

Maybe you should be campaigning to change the behaviour of 'terrible motorists' so that you are not scared to cycle on the road; instead of making pedestrians scared of walking on the pavement?

Even if you are the slowest, most considerate cyclist in the world (and I am sure that you will claim that you are) you are still in the wrong.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

To put this into perspective, there are a minority of irresponsible cyclists, just as there are a minority of irresponsible motorists, but to then demonise all cyclists/motorists is not helpful. Certainly the idea, expressed earlier, that cyclists routinely wish to 'literally mow down men women & children & flee the scene laughing' is ludicrous.