Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peted7202
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicators

Post by Peted7202 »

I have a car that was partially stripped of the wiring. I have sorted most of it bar the indicators. The indicator stalk wiring was disconnected behind the dash but is still on the stalk. The flasher unit was hanging loose on one wire.
Looking at the workshop manual diagram the set up shows a relay in circuit but this is not on the car.
Can anyone please explain how the flasher system works and what componentry should be fitted?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Indicators

Post by geoberni »

Depends on the car.
I've just looked back at your past posts and I assume it's the 58 Tourer we're speaking of.

So basically all bets are off for following a wiring diagram, because the car was built with Trafficators, which didn't flash.

Forget the large relay on the diagram you looked at, that's unique to 61-63 Cars where they used an American style flashing brake light.
What you have is an after-market, quite probably DIY installation of Indicators, which will depend on the skill & knowledge of the person who installed it...

Are there still trafficators in the car of have they been removed and the holes blanked off?

Some photos might help.
Basil the 1955 series II

Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

Trafficators removed and blanked off. There is a green and white wire and a green and red both disconnected which I assume were each side indicators that come from the column, but they were connected to a multi connector with no outgoing wires. The wire from the flasher unit went to the A4 fuse.
At the column there is a green & white, a green & red, a brown & black, a green & a black all disconnected behind the dash. Where should each of these be connected?
20221003_104457.jpg
20221003_104457.jpg (607.23 KiB) Viewed 660 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Green & white = RH Trafficators/Indicators
Green & red = LH Trafficators/Indicators
Brown & black = That's the colours for Door switches for Interior Light???
Green = Live via Ign Sw.
Black = Earth

I think your car has the Indicator tell tale lamp on the stalk.?
I thought the Horn was too, so there should be a Purple/Black somewhere?

I assume you have a manual with wiring diagrams. You need to follow Diagram N36, or page 326 in the bound version.

If I were adding all that, I'd have placed a 2 connection Flasher Unit inline in the Green wire between Fuse and Switch.

That Brown/Black is confusing me though. :-?

I'd be getting a meter out to continuity check it and see how it connected into the switch.
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I think the Brown/Black wire is for the horn push, on this type of switch.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:31 pm I think the Brown/Black wire is for the horn push, on this type of switch.
Now you mention it, I recall there was some discussion here in recent years ago about Horn wiring colours, and the conclusion was that the colours specified on the diagram didn't match the cars .... :tu1:
Basil the 1955 series II