My first time

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Denisd
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: My first time

Post by Denisd »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:12 am Goodness! A lot of work to be done but it will be epic if you can save this one. Cars like this would have gone to the scrapyard without a second thought only a few years ago. But you have improved it immeasurably already by removing those front seats! :lol:
Haha you are not wrong, they were hideous. :lol:
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

It's inside now, that will give it a chance to dry out and I can work on it when I want to, the engine is running but needs a fuel pump which is on the way, I will be taking it out anyway so that I can work on the chassis.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Well it's been given non-standard brakes including a servo. Not a typical after-market Lucas one though, it's a system off another car completely.

Interesting place to keep a spare Ign Coil... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

It's only thanks to people like you that these cars still exist .Good luck and get it done.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

geoberni wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:20 pm Well it's been given non-standard brakes including a servo. Not a typical after-market Lucas one though, it's a system off another car completely.

News to me about the brakes but everyday is going to be a school day, ya the ignition coil was a very quick job I reckon.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Classiccars wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:40 pm It's only thanks to people like you that these cars still exist .Good luck and get it done.
Thanks, I will for sure.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Denisd wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:10 pm
geoberni wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:20 pm Well it's been given non-standard brakes including a servo. Not a typical after-market Lucas one though, it's a system off another car completely.

News to me about the brakes but everyday is going to be a school day, ya the ignition coil was a very quick job I reckon.
The Minor Brake Pedal goes down through the floor and the Master Cylinder is mounted under the floor.
What you have there is a complete Master Cylinder and Servo from perhaps a 1980s car, such as a Marina. It's likely a dual system as it looks like there are 2 pipes coming out of it.
So you'll need to take a good look and see if they are split Front/Rear or on a diagonal split.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As an aside and to save you from future headaches when working under the bonnet, I recommend fitting an extendable bonnet stay, link below:

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ec-p827976
It might save you being caught swearing in public too...... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Morris Minor extending bonnet stay.jpg
Morris Minor extending bonnet stay.jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Thanks Mike
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

That's a heck of a project there, credit to you for taking it on and it's always nice to see the "pre-op" photos.

I'd find it difficult to decide which way to go. Being that it already has some modifications, I'd probably not try to make it original but to tidy them up, give it an engine transplant and paint it a nice colour. A bloke on the other forum has a modified low light in silver/grey and it looks stunning.

All the best with it.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

rocco wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:42 am That's a heck of a project there, credit to you for taking it on and it's always nice to see the "pre-op" photos.

I'd find it difficult to decide which way to go. Being that it already has some modifications, I'd probably not try to make it original but to tidy them up, give it an engine transplant and paint it a nice colour. A bloke on the other forum has a modified low light in silver/grey and it looks stunning.

All the best with it.
I'm not changing the engine, I'm not rich so the essentials will be done first (bodywork), I want to make it safe, reliable, good looking and comfy. The colour is almost decided on but a long way off.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Still uncovering and discovering
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

And more...
The engine bay don't look too bad
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

There's a fair bit of welding to be done there, a good challenge but certainly not impossible. Most of the panels you can get now are decent quality and fit. How are you intending to prep the shell before welding ? I'd recommend sand blasting - even just the underneath and the wheel arches. It finds all the rot and gives you a good clean surface to work from.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

philipkearney wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:16 pm There's a fair bit of welding to be done there, a good challenge but certainly not impossible. Most of the panels you can get now are decent quality and fit. How are you intending to prep the shell before welding ? I'd recommend sand blasting - even just the underneath and the wheel arches. It finds all the rot and gives you a good clean surface to work from.
Don't have a sand blaster Philip so wire brush and cutting discs will be bought in bulk.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Heavy duty wire brushes for the grinder work well in cleaning metal back and finding any rotten areas. Some smaller and different shaped ones for the end of a drill are good for getting into all the nooks and crannies.

Looking forward to seeing your progress in due course.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

philipkearney wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:21 pm Heavy duty wire brushes for the grinder work well in cleaning metal back and finding any rotten areas. Some smaller and different shaped ones for the end of a drill are good for getting into all the nooks and crannies.

Looking forward to seeing your progress in due course.
Ya plus a good day with the door wide open, I will keep posting pics.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Very sensible. The rust and dust gets everywhere.... and it tastes horrible 😂 Good ventilation is a must.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Driver side door finally off today, more room in the garage and more access to the car.
Denisd
Minor Friendly

Post by Denisd »

Got it up on stands, wheels off and dismantling the dash, slowly but surely.