Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dougie212
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Non starting - battery..??

Post by Dougie212 »

Hi there

I’ve come to start my 1958 morris today and have what I believe is a flat battery - but before I go and get a new one I just wanted to check a few things..

So - I turn the ignition on and get red and green lights on the dash. I pull the start and get a very laboured attempt at trying to start.. if it were a modern car it sounds exactly like a flat battery would..

I’ve got my multimeter on it and am getting just under 12.3V across the battery with ignition off. As soon as the ignition goes on it drops to 8.6 and gradually descends.
I’ve tried using the crank handle (which I’m not particularly well practiced at but have used it once before with success). That isn’t starting the car either.

So - I’m guessing that I’ll be needing a new battery but should I be concerned that the crank handle isn’t starting it either..?

Thanks in advance as always!!
Duncan
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Re: Non starting - battery..??

Post by Classiccars »

I remember watching my father give up on a starting handle and my uncle having a go and they were strong and it took a lot to start on the handle .Very hard going.
Dougie212
Minor Friendly

Post by Dougie212 »

Yes.. I’ve just had a break and tried again and no avail… I’ll go for the new battery option I think.. unless I’m advised otherwise.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If you jump start the engine using the battery terminals, does it turn over and start as it should?
If it does the battery is at fault and should be replaced.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, at 12.3v the battery is flat, but is it being charged? If the charging system is working, likely the battery is at fault. Any decent battery salespoint should be able to test the battery's health for you....
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

The very first thing is to attempt to recharge the battery. It is cleary eithe fully discharged or dead. Check that nothing has been left on since you last ran it.

Without more information as to the history to this problem, you may be needing more than a new battery.

Most modern batteries are loathe to accept a charge if very much drained, as this one may be.

I, personally would try a reconditioning charge using my CTEC MSX 5 charger as an effort to recover the battery - but most would not have one of those.

What type of battery, age, maintenance history (If appropriate), charging voltage, etc, etc are required to make the best prediction over the internet.

If you take it, as it is, to any battery supplier, I would expect them to sell you a new battery.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The MSX has been the best budget charger a while back, if considering buying a charger. Although the slightly more expensive Optimate is also useful and versatile, but in this case try a standard charger it may give you a charge to enable further investigation.