Removing Wiring Loom

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuart490
MMOC Member: Yes

Removing Wiring Loom

Post by stuart490 »

I have finally made a start on the restoration of my 1958 2 door saloon which has been languishing in my garage for over 40 years! I am having the bodywork repaired and repainted professionally and I have been stripping the car to facilitate this. I need to remove the wiring loom which I intend to re-use, so I don’t want to chop it up. Do you remove the part of the loom behind the dashboard through into the engine compartment? It does not seem possible to do it the other way due the shape of the loom below the voltage regulator. I see that the bulb holders for the warning lights are connected directly into the loom (no bullet connectors). Do these need to be unsoldered or can they be threaded carefully through the hole in the bulkhead? I might be answering my own question here because having done a search of the forum, I have found one post (2007) with a comment about the quality of the lamp holders in a new loom.
Apologies if this has been raised/discussed on the forum before, but despite a search, I have not been able to find anything that specifically describes the method of loom removal.
Thanks and Regards,
Stuart
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Removing Wiring Loom

Post by rocco »

I can't help you much Stuart except to say that I've watched others on youtube remove the wiring and they pulled it through on the inside.

I'll be doing the same but because it looks quite simple, I'm going to replace all the wiring for new. After 40-years I'd be surprised if some amount of corrosion had not taken hold of yours.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

When fitting, start in the engine bay and layout the "legs" that go under the car to the rear, along the wing to the front, and down to the engine. Feed the dashboard connections through the bulkhead and ensure that everything is settled into its approximate position befiore fitting the split grommet and metal caps to the engine bat side of the bulkhead.

Conversely, removal is the reverse of the fitting, so feed the loom from the dashboard into the engine bay. With the grommet and clamps removed, the bulb holders will fit, one by one, through the hole in the bulkhead. They are the first to feed when fitting and the last out when removing.
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Because I was replacing my loom, and I guessed that there might be a while between removing the old and fitting the new loom, I left an inch or so of the old wire on each instrument, light and fitting. It gave me a double check that I was fitting the correct wires to each when the inevitable delay materialised. I picked up the tip from n old hand...
stuart490

Post by stuart490 »

Thank you for your prompt replies and advice. I can remove the wiring loom with some confidence now.
Regards, Stuart
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

I have removed the loom from my 58 convertible. It was a pigs breakfast with scotch blocks and poor wiring, basically of little use as a template.
The car has stalk operated flashers/horn, generator and pull start. I've looked at the myriad of available looms and can narrow the choice down somewhat. I've contacted Autosparks and they suggest their loom TMS 102C with a FLA (flashers) modification.
Can anyone recommend a suitable loom with the proviso of upgrading to an alternator and reverse lights later? Would a Traveller loom be a better option with a bit of spare for any future add-ons?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Autosparks will make you a loom with all the modifications you need built in. No point in purchasing a new loom and then modifying it :wink:
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

Am building my loom. Have purchased the complete replacement new wiring, bullets, spades and sheath for £75 from Auto Electrical Supplies. £312 from Autosparks.