Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Bargain tyres?

Post by Boomlander »

Hi all,
I decided to replace Willum's tyres with better quality ones and managed to snap up a set of 5 as new Firestone F560s just 15 minutes down the road from me.
Does anyone else have these tyres fitted?
These still have the labels on them and were only on the car for 1 mile! I was wondering what they normally sell for and what pressure they should be inflated to. 🤔

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Re: Bargain tyres?

Post by Monty-4 »

Looks like they're normally £100-£120 each, so that's £500-600 worth of tyre you've got there.

The tread pattern looks nice and I've not seen them available before, perhaps a new one?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Firestone are a known and trusted brand.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

My car, when I bought it about 4 years ago had a set of Firestones on, all with loads of tread BUT when I started looking into it I found that Firestones of my particular tyre size (just on standard rims btw) hadn't been imported into the UK for over 20 years!!

I tried to 'carbon date' the age of the tyres from the markings that are supposed to be on the tyre wall i.e. a month and year when the tyre was actually manufactured but it was all very inconclusive and I feared that my tyres might have even pre-dated the introduction of this dating system.

I didn't want to risk running on tyres that were potentially well beyond their 'best by' date, so I bit the bullet and got a complete set of Bridgestones, I must say that I did notice an immediate improvement in handling and ride comfort.

The tyre fitter, from whom I didn't actually buy the tyres but he fitted them anyway, as he is someone I have used for many years, said I had made a very wise decision.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Monty-4 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:05 pm Looks like they're normally £100-£120 each, so that's £500-600 worth of tyre you've got there.

The tread pattern looks nice and I've not seen them available before, perhaps a new one?
Wow! I only paid £100 for the five!
Even with the cost of fitting it looks like I have netted a genuine bargain.
They have been garage stored for a while but after a quick wash and a rub with tyre dressing they look fine.
Thanks for your replies folks. 😁
Attachments
Screenshot_20220815_082254_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20220815_082254_com.ebay.mobile.jpg (170.21 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Screenshot_20220815_082228_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_20220815_082228_com.ebay.mobile.jpg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

What is the date code on the tyres?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That is a great deal. Date code is irrelevant - they should be judged on condition.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I'm no tyre expert by any means but by common consent, there is certainly a view that 10 years is about the limit before potentially dangerous and unseen degradation can take place. A quick 'Google' search throws up all manner of websites on this subject. Here are just a couple:-

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age
https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre ... read-depth

Ok, they're both by tyre companies.......''so they would say, wouldn't they?'' but I believe on certain types of HGVs and passenger carrying vehicles, 10 year old tyres have to be replaced by law, irrespective of tyre tread depth etc.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the risk of using old tyres.....but that's probably just me.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:50 am That is a great deal. Date code is irrelevant - they should be judged on condition.
The date codes are from 2018 as far as I can tell and the condition is fantastic.
No cracking on any part of the tyres, not even a single stone in the treads.
What did surprise me was when I took the spare wheel out of the boot and found it was fitted with an identical Firestone radial!
What are the odds of getting that result! 😎
Attachments
IMG_20220819_165058.jpg
IMG_20220819_165058.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 985 times
IMG_20220819_165042.jpg
IMG_20220819_165042.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 985 times

daveejhitchins
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by daveejhitchins »

Hope you're doing the lottery this week . . . :lol: Dave H.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

The tyres were given a thorough inspection and judged to be in excellent condition by our regular fitters.
All fitted and balanced for £60.
The ride and handling is much better than with the old tyres.
I did notice when the wheels were off that the exhaust was very corroded so that will be replaced with a stainless steel system.
PS I will definitely be doing the lottery today! 😁

kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Some tyre companies even quote 5 years life, but in reality it's ridiculous to quote a single number, it's all down to how they are storred, kept in a cool dark place with no weight on them and they will have a vastly different life to being left underinflated and parked in the sun.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

That's true, I have seen cars stored for over 50 years emerge into the sunlight with the tyres still up to pressure without a sign of deteriorating.
On the flip side l remember my 68 Ford Anglia being fitted with new tyres at one of the original Kwikfit centres in 1975 and having them replaced after 3 months due to cracking between the treads! :o

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I had identical Firestone tyres on my Minor many years ago and they were good tyres. They haven't been readily available for many years though so probably are pretty old. Fit them, use them, enjoy them and keep an eye on them. Hopefully they will be fine for a long time. Modern rubber seems very poor quality and doesn't last as long. I just took our 4 year old car for its 2nd MOT and was surprised to be told that the rear tyres (front wheel drive car done about 15,000 miles) are quite perished and cracked and should be replaced as soon as possible. They are the original Dunlop tyres with a 2018 date code :o.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Sound advice, much appreciated. 👍