Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Dipsticks

Post by nutmegct »

My '57 Traveller has a "loose" dipstick. Stick slides into the hole, all the way down, and hits the bottom with a klunk.

I searched for some MM photos, and found this:
Dipsticks.JPG
Dipsticks.JPG (17.98 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Mine is like the one in the middle.

The MIN mark is 1.5" from the end of the stick. My stick doesn't resemble the one shown in the Moss catalogue (which is straight with no bends, and has a circular spacer and a "stop"?). Part 68 in this:

https://mossmotors.com/morris-minor/eng ... ngine-1504

Also, I have no dipstick tube, Moss #69.

I begin to wonder if I have an incorrect stick, and thus incorrect MAX-MIN markings - and resulting incorrect oil volume.

The engine is a replacement, number 9M U H 506825.

The original low-compression engine was replaced with the above h/c engine at some time before I got the car.

What dipstick *should* I have for my engine? Should I also have that missing dipstick tube?

Thanks.
Tom M.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Dipsticks

Post by philthehill »

The dipstick can be either as you have or the top dipstick in your attached photo and both are suitable for the 950cc 'A' Series. The two spare 950cc engines I have are both fitted with the straight dipstick (top in attached photo).
The dipstick shown in the MOSS parts list Pt No: 451-410 is for the later 1098cc engine with plastic tube Pt No: 451-430 and is sealed by washer Pt No: 031-220.
Your dipstick does as it should by hitting the bottom of the sump.
The straight dip stick does not have a 'MIN' mark just a 'FULL' mark which is 2" from the bottom of the dipstick. So long as your 'MAX' mark is 2" from the bottom of the dipstick you will be alright. :tu1:

nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks Phil. The MAX is indeed 2" from the bottom.

Shouldn't there be something to prevent the stick from rattling loosely in the hole? I realize it won't fly out ... but sticks I've seen on other cars have a raised area on the stick at "hole top height", which holds the stick relatively tight in the hole. I'd put a felt disk on the stick to prevent oil splatter, but as the stick can bounce merrily around, the felt wouldn't stay in place.

Tom m.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 950cc 'A' Series did not have any means of sealing the dipstick or means of stopping it rattling about in the hole - it just dropped into the hole and hit the bottom of the sump.
The 1098cc dip stick hole is larger to accommodate the plastic tube.

nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks Phil.
(I wish the forum had a "thanks" button we could use on individual posts and replies.)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

When next oil change happens fill the sump with the specified quantity of oil then check where it is on the stick.