Upgrade advice please

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
290c
MMOC Member: Yes

Upgrade advice please

Post by 290c »

Hi All, until recently I was intending to take my wife 65 minor to Charles Ware for front and rear suspension upgrades and disc brake conversion. Given their current situation can anyone recommend an alternative. More than happy to travel for a quality/reliable place (Bristol was no problem!) but we are based in Nottinghamshire if there's anyone nearer. Thanks for your help.
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Upgrade advice please

Post by James k »

Hi,

I can enthusiastically recommend the Morris Minor Workshop (ESM). They're in Wadhurst so I think a bit further from you than Bristol but not dramatically.

They're the only place I trust with my car now and they do thoroughly professional work to factory standards, no bodges. They have a genuine love for Morris Minors and always do the job properly rather than just trying to get you in and out like some places I've been. They are on the expensive side but you get what you pay for.

I have zero affiliation with them except for being a satisfied customer. Having experienced various horrors from other garages, I like to help prevent other Morris owners from going through the same.

Thanks,
James
290c

Post by 290c »

Thanks James

Appreciate the response and the information. Ill give them a call, like you say its not much further than Bristol but I'd sooner not cut corners, especially when its something the wife is driving!

Darren
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have to ask - why do you feel the need to upgrade the brakes and suspension?
If the standard factory fitted brakes and suspension are in good working order they will be more than adequate for normal driving.
With the disc brake set up you may feel that the pedal is rather hard and unresponsive which may then require a servo to be fitted.
Phil

290c

Post by 290c »

Its a good point, but we will be adding the servo too. Its about confidence really. She has only ever driven modern cars with all the latest tech. Whereas some of us cut our teeth on cars with drums etc. The only reason she learned to drive was so she could have a Minor! Teaching her about a choke and how to get it just right, not flood the engine etc was interesting. For months I had to start it from cold!

I know people will say that's part of the experience and its about reading the road ahead etc but it really about her being comfortable in the car, don't get me wrong she is a great driver, she loves it and if this means she drives it more then that's the plan.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

We have done something very similar for my son, disc brakes with a servo, high back seats for a bit of whiplash protection and modern seat belts. he gets on fine with it, he's been using it for 40 mile round trips to work every day recently in preference to my brand new company car.

We are onto wave 2 now, heated windscreen, alloy wheels which will allow a wider range of modern tyres and some go faster engine mods.

We haven't done anything to the suspension, if the dampers and bushes are in good condition (at least replace the oil in the dampers) they drive very well.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I changed to disc breaks over 25 years ago. I never fitted a servo and I get on fine with them. A very worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.