Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

frozen rear brakes

Post by nutmegct »

When I first tried driving the car, I wondered why my '57 Morris Minor Traveller is so tough to roll by hand, and needs so much power just to move a few feet. Raised the rear and discovered both rear wheels are frozen tight. Parking brake is off.

Front wheels turn freely. Rear wheels won't budge. Hasn't been driven since February.

I removed a rear wheel, but since I can't turn the drum, I can't use the adjustment screw inside the drum to loosen the shoes. Even with the wheel still on, I can't turn the wheel at all.

I'm reluctant to use blasting caps or a small nuclear device ... can someone talk me through what I need to do to free up those brakes?

Thanks.
Tom M.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Re: frozen rear brakes

Post by Mick Lynch »

nutmegct wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:02 pm When I first tried driving the car, I wondered why my '57 Morris Minor Traveller is so tough to roll by hand, and needs so much power just to move a few feet. Raised the rear and discovered both rear wheels are frozen tight. Parking brake is off.

Front wheels turn freely. Rear wheels won't budge. Hasn't been driven since February.

I removed a rear wheel, but since I can't turn the drum, I can't use the adjustment screw inside the drum to loosen the shoes. Even with the wheel still on, I can't turn the wheel at all.

I'm reluctant to use blasting caps or a small nuclear device ... can someone talk me through what I need to do to free up those brakes?

Thanks.
Tom M.
4’ long bit of 2x2 between the studs and full body weight on it
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Give the drums a few whacks with a lump hammer but not hard enough to damage the drum.

nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Success! Some modest thwacks with a hammer around the drum, followed by levering the studs with a 2x2 did the trick. I could slowly turn the drum, centered the adjustment hole over the adjuster bolt, loosened one click - and all is well. Now just a sliding sound as the drum turns.

Had to do this on both sides.

Thank you gentlemen!
Tom M.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done. :tu1:
The brake shoes should be kept well clear of the brake drum even in normal use. Having the linings rubbing/contacting against the drum is false economy.
The brake wheel cylinder piston needs to exercise/move sufficiently so as to alleviate seizure.
If the vehicle is to be stored and fitted with drum brakes the adjusters should be backed right off. Regular pressing of the brake pedal will then maximise the piston movement reducing the chances of seizure or rusting of the linings to the drum.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

philthehill wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:57 am ...reducing the chances of seizure or rusting of the linings to the drum.
As, indeed, will frequent and timely changes of the brake fluid... 8)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Your original problem might have been caused by leaving the handbrake on for a prolonged period - it's always better (if safe) to leave the handbrake off and the car in gear and/or wheels chocked.

The question now is: are the rear brakes working? Just because you freed the wheels to turn does not mean that when using the brakes, the wheels will now stop turning. I recommend removing the drums and checking that the cylinders respond to both foot and hand brakes, and that the cylinders return fully afterwards.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree. I'd be very surprised if just backing the adjusters off has actually cured the problem.
We haven't been told very much about the car but I would guess there has been a lack of regular use? Parts are not expensive and I'd suggest a check over of the brakes along with a good clean out and quite likely replacement of the rear cylinders and the flexible hose and a check that the handbrake cables move freely :wink:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I always park Basil in the garage, chocked (garage floor has about 1-2 deg slope towards the up and over door) and the handbrake off.
If he's not been out for a couple of weeks, I put the battery on the charger for an hour and get in to pump the brake pedal.
Regular occurrence during the lockdowns.
Basil the 1955 series II

nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks gentlemen. I do plan a complete going-through of the braking system, but first had to be able to move the car!

Good point about not leaving the parking brake "on" for long periods.

Tom M.