Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Oil pressure gauge

Post by trmorrisminor »

Hi all, was given the enclose contents ( on photo) to me a few years ago from a gentleman i know who was clearing out his garage. I believe it has come from an MG although maybe wrong. I have never fitted an oil pressure gauge before. Would I be right in thinking the male end of the connector goes into the hole that the oil pressure sensor is currently in and the oil pressure sensor now goes into the connector with the female thread? I hope to fit this in my morris minor van so any help would be greatly appreciated - is this all I need or should there be other parts missing, does it need bleeding? I appreciate the gauge will need to be fitted into the can via a gauge holding bracket and the cable fitted through the bulk head.
Many thanks
Richard
Attachments
63F3DFA6-DB38-421E-AF70-AAB9DDA9816D.jpeg
63F3DFA6-DB38-421E-AF70-AAB9DDA9816D.jpeg (4.47 MiB) Viewed 589 times
9FB0A442-98A6-40CC-83CC-9106B39893C8.jpeg
9FB0A442-98A6-40CC-83CC-9106B39893C8.jpeg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 589 times
trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Post by trmorrisminor »

Meant to ask, what sort of reading on the oil gauge would you expect to see?
R
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

You are correct in your fitting details.
You do not have to bleed the gauge.
I would expect to see around 50 - 60lb/sq in at normal engine cruising speed and around 15lb/sq in at idle.
I personally would not use the original copper pipe as it has most likely gone hard and will be difficult to bend and may crack. I have fitted a braided hose from the engine to the gauge and it is easy to manipulate and will not suffer from vibration stress. If you do use the original copper pipe you need to put a couple of loops in the pipe just before the take off adapter to alleviate any vibration stress.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly

Post by trmorrisminor »

Many thanks for the info Phil, much appreciated. Out of interest why does doing a couple of loops near to the take off adapter stop any vibration? Is that vibration coming from the engine or as the car moves or both? I guess maybe as its not a straight line it cant vibrate easily along the pipe?
Many thanks for the link aswell. If i use the braided pipe do you still beed to do a couple of circles before the take off adapter ?
Many thanks
Richard
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

trmorrisminor wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:41 am Out of interest why does doing a couple of loops near to the take off adapter stop any vibration?

Because it effectively makes the pipe into a spring?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

With the braided hose there is no need to include a couple of loops because as the pipe is flexible it will naturally absorb any vibration stress.
Here is the take off and feed to the oil pressure gauge on my 'A' Plus block before I fitted the remote oil pressure switch.
Gauge feed 1.JPG
Gauge feed 1.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 501 times
The union bolt of the 948cc/1098cc & 1275cc oil transfer pipe which runs from the block to filter head can be drilled and tapped to allow a take off for a oil pressure gauge pipe. I have a union bolt which was specially made for the job & is already drilled and tapped for the union & pipe and is well worth purchasing. Just purchased another :tu1:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165553729989 ... SwHiNivGim
Note the Minor application in one of the photos. I have to say about that photo I would not be using PTFE tap just a smear of Loctite Loc & Seal on the threads.
As an aside but relative to a recent post about starter dog fouling - in the photo above can be seen the section of 948cc rear engine plate (with rolled lip) inserted between the starter and 1275cc Midget rear engine plate to get the starter dog in the right place when the starter is engaged with the flywheel.

Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

What thread size is the oil pressure sensor connection?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Most are 1/8" NPT.

trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly

Post by trmorrisminor »

Many thanks for the info Phil, as always you have been extremely helpful thankyou. Planning on fitting the oil pressure gauage soon, prob in next month or so, whenever i am over at dads next and have a bit of spare time, once I am in the process to be starting it i will let you know how I get on. The link you sent, is it like an adapter? For the system i showed you i had in the photo, is this something i would need or can I use this banjo in connection with my system?
Richard
trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly

Post by trmorrisminor »

Phil I have just bought this as I have two morris minors , this one comes without the connector union, I am presuming as its for a mini MG etc it should be the same thread for a connector for a morris minor? Out of interest where can you buy the correct connector union from with the right threads on it for a morris minor and the oil pressure switch?
Many thanks
Richard
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The adapter in the link replaces the banjo.
The adapter is cheaper than purchasing a drill & tap to drill and tap your existing banjo.

trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly

Post by trmorrisminor »

D9E6C868-3034-43DE-903D-40B442DE9E6F.png
D9E6C868-3034-43DE-903D-40B442DE9E6F.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 414 times
6F7577E7-498D-49A1-BC46-31E60EBEE2C5.png
6F7577E7-498D-49A1-BC46-31E60EBEE2C5.png (949.69 KiB) Viewed 414 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You may need one of these:-
or one of these dependent upon the unions on the ends of the pipe.
This is the take off adapter where you can fit the pipe and retain the oil pressure switch:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293704296095 ... xyYSdTBIwT

trmorrisminor
Minor Friendly

Post by trmorrisminor »

Many thanks Phil for the reply and the links, will let you know how i get on. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. Richard