fuel gauge

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
harrywright
MMOC Member: No

fuel gauge

Post by harrywright »

Hi new member Harry Wright i have just bought a 1959 Morris minor, i'm having problems with the fuel gauge reading correctly when tank is full only reading half, when i earth the wire to sender unit it shows empty position, with the wire disconnected gauge shows full, i bought a new sender unit the gauge now reads quarter, someone said it might be the voltage stabilizer behind speedo , i purchased one but found their isn't one behind speedo, any ideas please, or has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution, any help would be gratefully appreciated
thanks harry
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: fuel gauge

Post by ManyMinors »

As you've found, a 1959 Minor does not have a voltage stabiliser. It uses a completely different system to the later (1964 onwards) Minor 1000 with the black faced speedometer. Your car should have a silvery/gold faced speedo and fuel gauge and the sender until should have a screw-on wire attachment. If you have the wrong gauge OR sender unit from a later car the gauge will not work because you will have incompatible parts. This might be your problem?
If you have the correct parts and the gauge still doesn't work, then either the gauge or sender is probably faulty - or possibly the tank is not earthing - although that is unlikely.
harrywright

Re: fuel gauge

Post by harrywright »

thanks ManyMinors i thought i was going mad, have ordered a pre 1964 which should sort out my problems
thanks again Harry