Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Glen B
MMOC Member: No

Newbie looking for Minor 1000 saloon

Post by Glen B »

Hi Everybody,

After quite a few years of not owning a classic car ( unless our 2003 Rover 75 and 2005 Rover 45 count ) we are looking at owning a Morris 1000 saloon.
We went to look at a 1957 one yesterday and after checking the underside, water and oil for mayonnaise, doors not hanging, etc, we took it for a test drive. I'm 5ft 9inches and had to adjust the drivers seat to its fully forward position to be comfortable with the pedals. When we swapped seats so my wife, Catherine, could drive she couldn't reach the pedals comfortably and there was no more forward movement for the seat. Catherine is 5ft 4 inches tall so was disappointed she couldn't drive it. I think I read on here yesterday that the seat may be able to be unbolt to be refitted in a more forward position. Can anyone advise me on this please? The owner of the car is quite tall but said the seat was already in thar position when he bought it. He suggested unbolting the seat and make new holes and thread them.
I am reluctant to buy a Morris 1000 until I know my wife will be able to drive it as well. We do intend to join the MMOC.
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Newbie looking for Minor 1000 saloon

Post by Monty-4 »

Yes the seats may be able to go forwards another inch or two using the standard plate that the seats bolt into, various suppliers also sell blocks to raise the rear of the seat a little. There is also nothing stopping you drilling more holes in the plate/floor and bolting them on further forwards still. A dead simple job.

My 5ft nothing partner was able to drive our saloon with these, standard seats and a maybe a cushion!

floor-seat-bracket-all-models-long-u-k-made-p828540-2783_zoom.jpg
floor-seat-bracket-all-models-long-u-k-made-p828540-2783_zoom.jpg (53.58 KiB) Viewed 638 times
front-seat-rubber-raising-block-2-required-per-seat-p828713-592_image.jpg
front-seat-rubber-raising-block-2-required-per-seat-p828713-592_image.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 638 times
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, you will have to look under the chassis to see which holes in the plates the seat mountings are already using. Then you can appraise your options.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Another thing to consider is how good is the seat webbing? This does deteriorate over time and allow you to sink further both back and down into the seat. If the covers are OK, then reconditioning a seat is quite cheap and simple, and can make a difference to the driving position.

If you look under the floor, you will see the strip with welded nuts as illustrated above. If holes 1 and 3 are clear or full of sealant, and the bolts are in 2 and 4, then the seat is on the back position and can be moved forwards. Clean away all muck and run a tap though the unused nuts before trying the set screws in the forward holes. I cna think of a couple of people around the 5ft mark who drive Minors without any trouble or modification.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As well as the seats possibly being bolted into the rearmost captive fixing, Morris Minor seats are often in poor condition, with collapsed foam internal cushions to base and backrest as well as poor supporting straps. You might be surprised at the difference replacing these parts can make. I know Morris Minor owners of all shapes and sizes who manage driving their Minors without difficulty, so I don't think it will be difficult to overcome this problem. Try more than one car perhaps?
Some 4door Minors in 1957 still used the earlier Series11 type seats from the split-screen cars which some find more supportive and providing a higher seating position.
Don't give up!
Glen B

Post by Glen B »

Thanks for all your replies. I'll try checking the holes, etc, when we get a Moggy. If thar doesn't work I'll get one of those brackets pictured in one of the replies.
The seats seemed in decent condition. The car we went to see is on ebay and it doesn't finish until Saturday evening.
It will be nice to work on an engine that you can actually get to without taking loads of stuff off to get to what you want.
My/our previous classics have been Mk1 Humber Sceptre, Mk2 Consul, 1953 Mercury Monterey, 1959 Oldsmobile, Mk2 Zephyr and the last one was Mk2 Consul with a Mk3 Zephyr 4 speed gearbox ( still column change). The Consul was the most reliable and always got us there and back home but I think the parts are getting scarce now whereas it seems Minor parts are plentiful. We do intend to use it a lot.
We live near Mansfield by the way.
Cheers.
Glen
arjay
Minor Friendly

Post by arjay »

Or refit your seats with these frames?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284834535608
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Glen B wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:13 pm
The seats seemed in decent condition. The car we went to see is on ebay and it doesn't finish until Saturday evening.

Glen
I'm guessing you're referring to the maroon coloured one? The MOT history makes interesting reading. Hopefully the corrosion has all been sorted to a decent standard? That would be the biggest concern. You probably already know that the car (like many others) has lost its original registration and has had a colour change at some stage. Matching the colour has obviously been a challenge - possibly because nobody knows what colour was used? The interior is from a much later Minor 1000 but looks in decent condition as you say. Don't get TOO carried away with the bidding would be my advice :wink:
Glen B

Post by Glen B »

Thanks for your reply. It is the maroon one and my wife googled the MOT before we went. The underseal is thick but it all seems solid underneath. The bloke selling it, an ex farmer, said the floor was rotten in places when he bought it and he had new bits welded in and then undersealed them. He bought the car for his daughters wedding but it only gets used infrequently now as he also has a Triumph Stag which is his favourite and intends to spend the Moggy money on that.
My wife is a good judge of character, better than me, and she seems to think he is genuine. She has warned me of a bad feeling with people in the past and usually turns out to be right.
We won't be putting any Inflated bids in for it as there are a few other decent ones about for not much more. We would like a late 1950s one. If any come with the 1275 engine, disc brakes, etc, I think we'd go for them otherwise I'll do it myself.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Glen, I’ve got a really good restored 1957 Minor 1000 saloon that has the Series II type seats from the split-screen cars. They are more comfortable than the later type standard seats, in my opinion.

I’m considering selling it now as I’ve just bought a Traveller, which really needs the garage. I’ve sent you a private message.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Glen B

Post by Glen B »

Thanks John. I'll message you back.