Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NETTIE
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Std piston rings

Post by NETTIE »

Hi I'm just about to order a set of std rings then remember seeing a few people having issues with esm rings
Any views on this or recommendations appreciated
Thank you
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
islecastle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Std piston rings

Post by islecastle »

I got rings from ESM a month or so ago. They didn't comply with the standard 4 ring type in any way. I posted details in a thread on here at the time.
I finished up sourcing some original Cords rings which appear to have done the trick regarding smoking and oil consumption.
Dave
1973 Ford Cortina Mk3
1967 Morris Minor 1098 Convertible
1978 MGB GT
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

islecastle wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:41 pm I got rings from ESM a month or so ago. They didn't comply with the standard 4 ring type in any way. I posted details in a thread on here at the time.
I finished up sourcing some original Cords rings which appear to have done the trick regarding smoking and oil consumption.
Dave
Thanks Dave thats why i didn't press the button on esm rings because of your post i will keep looking cheers
Alan Bude Cornwall
islecastle
Minor Friendly

Post by islecastle »

The ESM rings might have been perfectly OK, but I didn't have confidence in them. American made.
I will try to scan the fitting instructions and post them on here so folk can see the deviation from standard spec.
1973 Ford Cortina Mk3
1967 Morris Minor 1098 Convertible
1978 MGB GT
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

islecastle wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:25 pm The ESM rings might have been perfectly OK, but I didn't have confidence in them. American made.
I will try to scan the fitting instructions and post them on here so folk can see the deviation from standard spec.
You guys on here are so helpful best owners club ive ever been in
Top job
Alan Bude Cornwall
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

What make you certain that the rings currently fitted are not doing their job to the point that they need renewing?
The fit in the piston grooves and the ring gap needs to be measured or you may end up wasting your money and be back to square one.
The piston rings in your photos do not look too bad. I would be de-glazing the bores, cleaning up the piston ring grooves and refitting the existing rings to the existing pistons.
I would suggest that the engine has not been run sufficiently and regularly enough to bed the pistons and rings in leading to glazed bores.

NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Ye agree Phil but i broke 2 getting them out
but i don't regret it all the drain holes behind the oil rings were completely blocked solid had to drill them out and the ring grooves were very gummy.
I don't want to second chance anything I'm getting too old for this haha
Alan Bude Cornwall
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The gummed up oil drain holes in the rear of the piston groove are a clear indication of little use and the engine not getting up to working temperature.
Just remember that piston rings can be broken when fitting them onto the piston as well as when being removed.
A piston ring removing and fitting tool is of great use and a saver of time and money.
I have a similar tool to the one in the link below and I would not attempt to remove or refit a piston ring without its help.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280868617349 ... SwVTdi34a9
You can use the unbroken end of the broken piston ring to clean out the piston ring groove.

NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

philthehill wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:53 pm The gummed up oil drain holes in the rear of the piston groove are a clear indication of little use and the engine not getting up to working temperature.
Just remember that piston rings can be broken when fitting them onto the piston as well as when being removed.
A piston ring removing and fitting tool is of great use and a saver of time and money.
I have a similar tool to the one in the link below and I would not attempt to remove or refit a piston ring without its help.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280868617349 ... SwVTdi34a9
You can use the unbroken end of the broken piston ring to clean out the piston ring groove.
Thats a very reasonable price Phil just ordered some thank you for the info
Alan Bude Cornwall
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

i buy my pistons/rings from sussex mg. Have done for years.

https://www.sussexclassiccar.co.uk/shop ... uk/d2.html

just finIshed building a 1275 engine and it runs perfect and uses no oil.