Traveller history

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bobthetiler
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller history

Post by bobthetiler »

I have recently bought a 1971 Traveller. I have no history for the car apart from it was first registered in Chester and spent a portion of it's life in East Scotland, around Kirkaldy.
The registration is YLG 421J. and is White with navy interior.
If anyone recognises the registration could they please get in touch as I am intending to restore the car to original spec and some history would be nice to have.
Many thanks.
simmitc

Re: Traveller history

Post by simmitc »

Congratulations on getting the car and welcome to the forum.

The registration number confirms a Cheshire origin. You could contact Cheshire Record Office, Duke Street, Chester, CH1 1RL. (01244 972574) and ask for a copy of the original registration record. It might not tell you much, but sometimes you'll get a car colour or dealer/first owner name.

Unfortunately, the factory records for late travellers were lost in a fire, so you cannot get a Heritage Certificate.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

The MOT history is interesting, seems the car has had a couple of speedometer replacements over the years.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
bobthetiler

Post by bobthetiler »

Thanks for replies.
I looked up the MOT history and have the names of a couple of garages that did them. I am in the process of writing to them to ask if they can contact the previous owners and give them my details.
The car was registered end June 1071. As production ceased 1st April 1971, I would assume that this is a late model. It would be interesting to find out how near the end of production it was.
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

Late ones with blanking plug between washer/light dash switches & black engine.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The blanking plate fitted because the ignition key also operates the steering lock on the column.