Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JudyP
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Storage with no garage

Post by JudyP »

Afternoon, folks. This is purely a theoretical question o n my behalf, as it'll likely be a few years yet before I can re-enter the world of Morris Ownership.
Does everyone here store their vehicles in a garage? My house doesn't have one, and I think that this may preclude me from ownership, sadly. However, I would rather like a Minor van in good time, and think that they may be marginally better suited to being kept outside than the other models. I did used to keep Ector the Traveller parked on the street outside my house when I lived in a terrace, but it's hard to imagine doing that now! Plus, he was my daily driver then and any vehicle I decide to own in the future would most definitely be a second car/van, so likely to be sitting unused for the majority of the week (I'd definitely drive it at least one day a week, though, just for the fun). I also have no space to convert to hard standing or a garage, as my gardens are too small and I don't have a drive. I do have one parking space that belongs to me, but that is where the modern car now sits.
I don't know what the future holds, but it's unlikely we'll be able to move any time in the next few years, so does this mean no Morris for me?
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Storage with no garage

Post by geoberni »

I have mine garaged, but considering the number of people who simply use their garage as extra storage, or even convert them into another room, I often feel quite unique....

It'll be interesting to see what answers you get.
If you're on facebook, you might like to look at the group there for the more casual enquiry with a huge potential response.
I wouldn't use it for the more technical questions as the answers can get a bit random :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/morrisminors
Basil the 1955 series II

James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I keep my Traveller outside on the drive and it's my daily driver so it gets driven in all weather. I do worry about rot and rust, though. It's just recently been resprayed and rewooded and had extensive work done on the chassis a couple of years ago. I'm going to retreat the wood and touch up the chassis protection this summer and keep my fingers crossed!

I tell myself that this is how most Travellers were kept in their day. But then again, a lot of them did get driven around in pretty poor condition!
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

are there no local Council garages near to you,Judy? or a friendly local who doesn't drive,but has a garage you could rent?
JudyP
Minor Friendly

Post by JudyP »

Don't know about council garages, but the locals aren't the friendly type, sadly.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I keep my Minor outside all the time and have done for many years. No doubt a garage would be better but the car doesn't seem to have suffered. Mine is not a Traveller though. I'd be less keen to keep a Traveller outside.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

One thing to bear in mind, never put a wet vehicle in a garage and let it stand, especially if it’s insulated. At least outside the wind will help dry it !

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Two travellers as daily drivers live outside. There is more work than when in a garage, but it's how most of the cars were used and stored when they were new.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

You could always invest in an outdoor car cover? At least three layers, breathable and waterproof. It’ll keep the car dry, free from bird mess and the UV off the paint.

I got a Sealy one for £50 and so far it’s done the job well.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

Hello Judy, I have a traveller outside and yes, it is more work to maintain but perfectly manageable. Just means a few simple jobs each Spring and/or Autumn to protect the car from rust and rot. At least one of these shall mean getting underneath the car, unless you pay somebody else of course.

I think your challenge will be insurance as the two companies I spoke to wouldn’t insure off of a drive. Footman James were very restrictive generally, RH Insurance far more reasonable and cheaper to boot. So weather isn’t your challenge but check insurance first, and particularly what security devices you might need. The companies who insure classic cars are very helpful and it’s worth calling one or two (not Footman James in my experience!) to get input before you shell out any money at all.

Hope that all helps.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
JudyP
Minor Friendly

Post by JudyP »

Thank you everyone, that's been very helpful. Nobody knows what the future holds, so who knows, in a few years' time when I'm ready to buy something, I might be in a totally different domestic situation!

The general consensus on the FB group is against it, with a few exceptions, which appears to be the opposite of on here. It really has divided people!
PhilipW1039
Minor Fan

Post by PhilipW1039 »

That's what I found before I bought mine back in April. One classic car dealer said literally "oh dear. It'll disintegrate before your eyes"! I kid you not.

The people on this forum are excellent and so knowledgeable; they really are amazing.

Don't wait years. Life is too short.
Philip

Just gradually working things out...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I like your optimism, planing years ahead, Wow !——— but in reality, and as you acknowledge, domestic and of course other things might change and you can be sure they will. You might even wonder what on earth you were thinking at the time ! :D

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I agree with Les :D

On the subject of keeping them outdoors without some kind of protection. Yes, it’s what they were made for back in the day…but back then it was also common to see rust on cars just a few years old! That should be remembered.

From personal experience I kept an old mini outside and exposed. This was 20 years ago. Used as a daily driver in all weather. I had the upper body restored and resprayed, used to wash/wax every week and it did deteriorate before my eyes over the next two or three years. Perhaps I could have used more effective products, but it was painful to watch.

So the salesman referenced above may be speaking from similar experience :-(
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

How about this.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 20.25.47.png
Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 20.25.47.png (597.79 KiB) Viewed 764 times
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

firedrake1942 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:27 pm How about this.
Thats what i need do you think they would do C.O.D HAHA
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

NETTIE
Minor Fan