Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
akuchanny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Bearing and hub issues

Post by akuchanny »

Hello,

So I’m having lots of problems with hubs and bearings.

I had play in the passenger side front wheel - it has a Charles wears marina disk brake kit on it (fitted by them) so ordered a set of bearings from esm, pulled the hub and drifted out the bearings, put it all back together it seemed okay. Until the bearings blew and threw greas all over the face of the wheel. I limped home and ordered more bearings - this time from wears (although they did not give me much tech support) pulled the wheel off which was had developed a large wobble on the spinal - couldn’t get it off - went home ordered a hydraulic puller - got the hub off but the front inner was stuck on. Finally managed to get it off with a hacksaw and a chisel so had a bare spindle.

Drifted out the bearing shells from the hub to find that the new bearings just dropped in. No need to push in. Then tried the removed shells same thing. I have ordered a hub - but this is now getting expensive and frustrating - does anyone have any idea how to get this all solved - I’m working from the marina manual and the minor one, ideally a set of instructions for the. Wears disk kit would be a huge help.

Does this kit need a spacer in front of the washer? The marina version says yes the minor one says no.

I called wears today - but as they now just sell parts and don’t have any workshop staff left I didn’t get too far. I’ve all one wheel bearing swap has probably cost nearly £350 in parts and tools, and in all honesty it’s pushing my love for the car to the limit.

Any ideas / help would be hugely appreciated

Andy
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bearing and hub issues

Post by philthehill »

Can you please confirm what disc brake conversion kit you have fitted - Ford or Marina? I suspect Marina as you have the Marina Wksp Man.
The Ford and/or Marina disc brake bearings have to have play in them. They are not pre-loaded as are the Minor front wheel bearings.
If the bearings do not have play they will soon fail.
The bearings are special and different sizes to the Minor.
If you have the Marina disc brake conversion the design of the hub changed so as to require different bearings from the earlier version.
Photos of the disc brake conversion you have fitted would be helpful.
I have the Marina disc brake conversion fitted to my Minor so am aware of the different versions of Marina kit available.
The fitting instructions will depend upon what kit you have fitted.

akuchanny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by akuchanny »

Hi Phil.

It’s a minor kit. It’s all back in one piece on the car. I will try to get some photos In the next day or so.

Any info on the hub tightening procedure or is that dependent on the kit type?

Andy
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There are several 'Minor' Kits. You need to be more specific.
The disc brake kits have about 3mm - 4mm play at the rim of the wheel - the hub nut should not be fully tight.
All the details for tightening the wheel bearings is laid out in the Marina wksp manual.
Photos will help considerably.

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

If you got the troublesome bearings from ESM, were they KG branded? They supplied KG ones with the Marina based disc kit that they sell and they were far too tight on the stub axle- needed a puller to remove.
I got SKF bearings instead and they fitted easily
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Be aware there are at least two Marina based disc brake kits. One has the Grumpy's top hat spacer with SKF bearings and the other which does not have the top hat spacer but has special hubs with matching bearings.
I have one of the original Grumpy's Marina based disc brake kits with the top hat spacer but now have fitted Marina stub axles and use standard Marina wheel bearings with the modified Grumpy's Marina hub to give a PCD of 4". The Grumpy's top hat spacer is still used in a modified form to suit the Marina hub seal.
Below is one of the Grumpy's modified Marina front hubs which gives a 4" PCD.
Grumpy hub 2.jpg
Grumpy hub 2.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 468 times
Below is one of the modified swivels fitted with the Marina stub axle and the modified top hat spacer in the process of being fitted.
Grumpys sleeve 2.JPG
Grumpys sleeve 2.JPG (217.4 KiB) Viewed 467 times