Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JudyP
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

How Does MOT Exemption Work?

Post by JudyP »

This is something I never came across when I owned my Morris (mid 2000s) - I used to go and get a yearly MOT, same as any car. But now, I see that Morrises are exempt, when was this brought in please? Was I doing something not strictly necessary in getting my Traveller an MOT?

Also, if a car is MOT exempt, then how does one know when work needs doing to maintain safety? I'm not mechanically minded and the annual MOT was a good indicator of problems. I understand that it's not an exhaustive check but it does keep on top of things like wear and tear and general all round roadworthiness to a minimum level.

Apart from checking yourself, what do you all do to keep your cars roadworthy?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How Does MOT Exemption Work?

Post by philthehill »

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

I would suggest that if you are not mechanically minded getting the annual MOT is a good thing as it keeps an independent eye on things so to speak.

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I've always had the Traveller MoT'ed regardless, for the reason @philthehill gives.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Routine servicing should show up the same weaknesses as an MOT test really. However little mileage owners cover in their Minors, the car should have a thorough service every year :wink:
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

My 1962, although M.o.T. exempt, has been tested annually in spite of that.
However, I want to now have it tested bi-annually. It doesn't do many miles in a year.
The current valid M.o.T. expires in September and the v.e.d. is due in December.
I renew v.e.d. online. From September to December it will show as no M.o.T., unless declared exempt. Is it still legally on the road without the declaration? How and when is the exemption declaration made. How to submit to DVLA now, or wait until v.e.d. renewal? Is there means of declaring exemption when renewing. I know there is a form which can be completed, but how and when is the form submitted?
I have found their information a bit confusing! I also contacted DVLA soon after the exemption for "newer" cars was introduced but couldn't get a definitive answer.
Thanks.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

When you tax it online you 'sign' a declaration that it is exempt.

You can get an MOT test on it as many times as you like, but perhaps may just be better to ask the garage to give it a thorough going over?
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Thanks Bowie69. I've never seen the declaration when applying for v.e.d. online.
All the DVLA information, that I can find, states to complete the form V112? and take it to the Post Office (that issues v.e.d.) when renewing. They, DVLA, are very lacking in information!
I did ask the DVLA, what would happen, that during the time, September to November, if some over enthusiastic Constable would see "no M.o.T." on their computer and pull me over, they couldn't answer it!
That makes it a bit silly when the M.o.T and v.e.d. due dates are different and there's no way to declare exempt untilrenewing v.e.d..
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I can tell you that the V112 is a joke. You enter the registration number, your name, the reason code (which is r), and then sign it. You hand it to the Post Office who look at it and hand it back to you :roll:

I think that the online system detects that there is no current MOT and that the vehicle is exempt due to age, and then provides the box for you to "sign".
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi JudyP
As you've already discovered, as with many things about DVLA, it's not simple.
This is something I never came across when I owned my Morris (mid 2000s) - I used to go and get a yearly MOT, same as any car. But now, I see that Morrises are exempt, when was this brought in please? Was I doing something not strictly necessary in getting my Traveller an MOT?
It's only exempt if the vehicle meets the Criteria. As others have said, the initial thing was that after it came in, you had to renew at a Post Office, you had to declare that you were now Historic Tax Class and use the V112 to say you were exempt.
As Simon has said, there's now a box that appears on the webpage when applying.
Because it's a self declaration that there is exemption, this has, in my opinion, opened the flood gates to the unscrupulous and/or ignorant (of the law) people to declare MOT exemption irrespective of what changes have been made to their car.
The history is that it came about in 2018, after a government consultation that started in 2012... :roll: . See this page which has some links if you're that interested.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-criteria
But the key aspect was "Many of the features of the modern MOT test are not suitable for testing classic vehicles built more than 50 years ago. However, owners of classic vehicles will still be legally required to ensure that their cars are safe and in a proper condition to be on the road."
Essentially the Test itself, and the knowledge/experience of the Testers under 50 yrs old wasn't appropriate. They didn't know what they were looking for on older vehicles.
Also, if a car is MOT exempt, then how does one know when work needs doing to maintain safety? I'm not mechanically minded and the annual MOT was a good indicator of problems. I understand that it's not an exhaustive check but it does keep on top of things like wear and tear and general all round roadworthiness to a minimum level.
Having an MOT is a good annual check if drivers are not appropriately confident in their automotive maintenance abilities.
Some people will give their car a good look over before submitting for MOT, other's won't.
My modern Ford rarely fails an MOT, because I check as much as I can, but when it has, it was broken Coil Springs that had broken in such a position they couldn't be readily seen without having it up on a lift. In the 10 years it's been getting MOT'd, it's broken all 4 Coil Springs!!
Basil the 1955 series II

olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

Thanks for the replies. :tu1:
The place I have used for M.o.T.s is very older car "friendly".
A one man band and he is very knowledgeable. Even owns an old Triumph (TR6) himself.
I'll wait and see what turns up at v.e.d. renewal re the tick box!
One story, true or not, don't know, but it is believable with regards testers with no experience of Classic/Historic cars.
It was a Minor and the tester broke off the indicator stalk when attempting to switch between main and dipped headlight! :roll: