Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nemo57morris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1957 Morris minor

Post by Nemo57morris »

I have a 1957 948cc Morris minor, and I'm wondering if people can help.

I'm wondering if there is any special about it. The Indicators are electric and on the front grill and the sidelights are under the headlights. It has the spaces for the semiphores, but they are filled in.

I'm finding lots of odd bits with it.

I was wondering if the indicators are in the right place for factory fitment.

Hope someone can help with this Information
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1957 Morris minor

Post by nutmegct »

Hi Nemo. I've a 1957 MM Traveller, assembled in New Zealand.

The turn signal semaphores had been removed and the opening "blanked in". The signal indicator lights are indeed on the front (and rear) of the car. Possibly a New Zealand requirement?

Hope that helps!
Tom M.
Connecticut USA
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It would appear that a previous owner fitted indicators "on the front grille" and blanked off the slots for the semaphores at some point. Not terribly unusual, I once had a four-door car where the semaphore slots were blanked off with a plate screwed to where the semaphores would have been fitted, and period-type flashers fitted on the wings. I removed the plates and re-fitted the semaphores, but retained the flashers - could be argued as the best of both worlds....unless you are a real stickler for originality :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

In 1957 the specification depended upon the market the car was built for. UK supplied cars still had the semaphore indicators fitted until 1961 but many other markets required flashing indicators. Generally these flashers were incorporated discreetly within the front and rear light units so if your car has additional flashing lights fitted into the grille panel these are almost certainly a later addition. You should be able to tell from the wiring to them. If flashers were factory fitted, the wiring for them will be within the wiring loom.
Nemo57morris
Minor Friendly

Post by Nemo57morris »

I just thought is was very wierd as I can't find any pictures of the flashers on the front grill. I'll have a look at the wiring loom.

I know it was originally bought by an army major, so it could have been a requirement for that. I dont know.

Thank you
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Is this NMO 603(?), yes was like that when we bought it in 1981. Still have the sales receipt somewhere, in a plastic storage box which I'll chance upon when I'm not looking for it!

Flashing indicators standard for South African CKD cars from 1957...I think, not on the front grill
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Nemo57morris
Minor Friendly

Post by Nemo57morris »

Yes it is, lol. Good to speak to you again. Hope your well. The original sales receipt would be amazing.