Anyone in Cornwall

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
NETTIE
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Anyone in Cornwall

Post by NETTIE »

As above anyone based in Cornwall esp near Bude
THOSE WHO NEVER DO ANYTHING WRONG NEVER DO ANYTHING
Alan Bude Cornwall
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Anyone in Cornwall

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, but a long way from Bude...Truro. There is, in the spirit of chronic Cornish individualism, a stand-alone Cornwall Morris Minor Club, see here: http://cornwallmorrisminorclub.co.uk/ And guess what? According to their 'Upcoming Events' they are planning a trip to Bude Castle on the 24th this month :D
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Haha i did notice that but I'm at my daughters that weekend in Falmouth
Alan Bude Cornwall
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I was in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago. There was a lovely white tourer with red roof in Helston, parked next to an equally lovely pre-war Rolls-Royce. Looked like a 2CV and a couple of other nice cars in the owner’s driveway too.

I found Cornwall a beautiful part of the country, but my word…I very quickly tired of Cornish roads (and tractors).
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Nice was you in your morris John where did you stay
Alan Bude Cornwall
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MorrisJohn wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:32 am
I found Cornwall a beautiful part of the country, but my word…I very quickly tired of Cornish roads (and tractors).
It's not just Cornwall....
I was in Norfolk last week, not more than about 8 miles from the centre of Norwich.
On a couple of occasions, my route took me down 'Lanes' that were diabolical.
I've lifted this image from Google Earth, it's dated 2011, the last and probably only time the Google Car has been down there.
Imagine it 11 years on, the hedges are now about 10ft tall and the vegetation in the centre is prolific.
Thankfully I never met anything coming the other way.... :roll:
norfolk.JPG
norfolk.JPG (113.9 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

NETTIE wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:18 pm Nice was you in your morris John where did you stay
We stayed at Lizard. I’m afraid we had a modern car with us, I couldn’t have got everything in the Minor. I don’t think it would have been any slower taking the Minor from Birmingham onwards though!

Yes, that’s exactly the type of road Bernie! Tried to avoid the worst of them as best as I could. We went to Cheshire on the way back up. The roads around the Chester area were like night and day.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That is a motorway compared to some of the roads in Hampshire. Biggest problem at the moment is harvesting equipment being moved and the movement of grain and straw. The ploughing and planting season is not much better - last autumn late at night I nearly had a prang with a huge unlit/unmarked combo seed drill towed behind a tractor which was at least 6ft wider each side than the tractor, you could not see the combo seed drill because of the tractor head lights. His mate in front of him with the same set up had lights and a orange flashing hazard light. Just saw the combo seed drill at the last minute. There was an unpolite exchange of opinion.

NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Our hedges are ( GRANITE ) and no verge down here
Alan Bude Cornwall
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Many Cornish hedges are granite, but not all (e.g around Delabole, Tintagel etc. which are slate). Of course there is a skill in driving these narrow lanes which many tourists in huge, bloated SUV's and camper vans do not seem to possess. Don't go too fast, be aware there may be something coming at you just beyond the next bend, position yourself so you can see as much as possible round the bend, mentally note where the last passing place you passed is, and be skilled at reversing - I have seen many whose reversing technique appears to be deliberate, multiple attempts to drive into the hedge! :lol:
I drive these lanes all the time and actually enjoy them. Having said that, I would probably be having a panic attack were I to have to drive around a big city these days! :-?
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:28 pm Many Cornish hedges are granite, but not all (e.g around Delabole, Tintagel etc. which are slate). Of course there is a skill in driving these narrow lanes which many tourists in huge, bloated SUV's and camper vans do not seem to possess. Don't go too fast, be aware there may be something coming at you just beyond the next bend, position yourself so you can see as much as possible round the bend, mentally note where the last passing place you passed is, and be skilled at reversing - I have seen many whose reversing technique appears to be deliberate, multiple attempts to drive into the hedge! :lol:
I drive these lanes all the time and actually enjoy them. Having said that, I would probably be having a panic attack were I to have to drive around a big city these days! :-?
Totally agree took me 45min from Boscastle to Crackington this morning
Alan Bude Cornwall
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Tinasminor »

My sister has a traveller in in Treknow near Tintagel.
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Tinasminor wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:36 pm My sister has a traveller in in Treknow near Tintagel.
Hi any pictures i will keep an eye out for her
Alan Bude Cornwall
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Tinasminor »

Here you go.

Attachments
received_1773711882972280.jpeg
received_1773711882972280.jpeg (380.04 KiB) Viewed 2673 times
NETTIE
Minor Fan

Post by NETTIE »

Tinasminor wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:58 pm Here you go.

Oh wow a nice one too i will defo watch out for that
Alan Bude Cornwall