Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
islecastle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Convertible rattles

Post by islecastle »

My 1967 convertible rattles and bangs at every road bump.
Is this normal for convertibles?
What would be the normal suspects?
1973 Ford Cortina Mk3
1967 Morris Minor 1098 Convertible
1978 MGB GT
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Convertible rattles

Post by myoldjalopy »

Check (or get checked) the front suspension, could be wear in the trunnions/swivel pins. A worn steering rack will rattle too. And a loose exhaust pipe.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

After a complete overhaul of the suspension, front and back, with the addition of poly bushes my traveller now rides along without a single squeak, rattle, bump or groan even over speed bumps :D I'm sure convertibles have their own body derived sounds but a suspension check/overhaul can work wonders for the rest :tu1:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Loose shock absorber too....
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As well as all the usual possible Morris Minor rattles already mentioned, the Convertible body does flex quite a bit more than a saloon. When you are driving a convertible and look at the passenger door area and gaps around it, you can see the gaps altering as you drive. I have a saloon and a Convertible and the Convertible always has more in the way of rattles. Some from the door areas, some from the hood frame and some from elsewhere which travel through the car more due to having rather less sound deadening as well as no roof! It is all part of the fun of ownership :D
Even modern convertible cars tend to be more noisy than saloon cars.
Pete Bags
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Pete Bags »

My convertible rattles as well - it can often be hard to discern where the noises are coming from, but mine now seem to be from the door windows and sometimes from the hood frame when it is folded down. As ManyMinors also mentions, many convertibles of all car makes can suffer from scuttle shake, the lack of a roof for strength does mean there is more flexibility in the rest of the body. I'm sure that fitting (harder) radial tyres and having stiffer poly bushes all help to contribute to the overall scuttle shake as well.

I'd also agree with the comments made in the earlier replies. I had a loud 'bang' whenever I went over road humps, and it was the exhaust being hit by the rear axle as the springs compressed - it took me a while to figure this out, as when the car was stationary and I was having a look, the gap between exhaust and axle looked big enough, but you could just see the tell tale marks on the exhaust where it was being bumped by the axle.

Best of luck tracking those rattles and bumps down! :tu1:
islecastle
Minor Friendly

Post by islecastle »

Thanks for the replies.
Some good pointers to where to start looking.
Nice to know others have had/got the rattles!
Dave
1973 Ford Cortina Mk3
1967 Morris Minor 1098 Convertible
1978 MGB GT
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

if it's any consolation,my Triumph Herald convertible rattles as well :lol: